Rebuilt merchant navy repair

Post all your model railway electronic problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Itsonlyme

Rebuilt merchant navy repair

Postby Itsonlyme » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:49 pm

I've been trying to find someone who can repair the merchant navy from the red box orient express box. Tried hornby and various other places. Basically the cog on the wheel has snapped into 3 (it was second hand).

Anyone have any suggestions, the people I've tried don't get back to me or simply seem unable to help.

sishades

Re: Rebuilt merchant navy repair

Postby sishades » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:55 pm

Peters spares will repair it for you but there is a waiting list. I have sent them a shunter 08 which I cleaned and broke!
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

Itsonlyme

Postby Itsonlyme » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:14 pm

Ahh awesome, I don't mind a wait as long as it gets repaired.

RFS

Postby RFS » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:05 pm

Have you tried the Model Railway Doctor - http://www.raildoc.demon.co.uk/links.html
Robert Smith

Itsonlyme

Postby Itsonlyme » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:49 pm

I believe hornby referred me to him, I haven't had a response as usual.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:06 pm

Is one likely to get standard brass worm and gears to fit this loco from kit building suppliers? Is just a thought.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

SRman

Postby SRman » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:17 am

It's not that difficult to open up the mechanism to get at the gears. Peter's Spares have had the replacement gears and layshaft in stock (not sure if it still is right now).

If you have got the body off, there is one screw to remove, holding the top cover for the gear tower, which also acts as the motor retainer at that end. There is one more screw holding the motor retainer at the cab end, which can be loosened but isn't necessary to remove completely.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:27 am

You would need to purchase the complete driver wheelset to obtain the wheel/axle with gear to replace the broken gear. The wheelset for the rebuilt Merchant Navy class is X8844 (not in stock at Peters Spares). However, I believe that the Battle of Britain/County class would be similar and is in stock. Replacement would entail dropping the lower chassis cover, removing the rod nuts on the rear axle and dropping the broken axle. You most likely do not need to replace the other two axles. I would think a relatively simple task apart from reinstalling the speedometer drive.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hornby-X899 ... Sw~bFazgOU

Refer the following Hornby Service bulletin download list - you need R248B for details -

https://www.hornby.com/us-en/downloads/ ... at/21/?p=2

I checked Wiki and prototypically both classes had the same diameter driving wheels so the Battle of Britain class wheels should fit the Merchant Navy class.

Itsonlyme

Postby Itsonlyme » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:29 am

I would imagine the battle of Britain class would do, I've already opened it up as I was trying to rebuild the cog.

It's really odd with hornby, I spoke to a chap on the phone who seemed willing to help, I sent in a picture as requested and told to go a 3rd. I tried several and the only one who replied told me to try hornby!

I guess it's a lesson in buying second hand.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:39 am

Itsonlyme wrote:I would imagine the battle of Britain class would do, I've already opened it up as I was trying to rebuild the cog..........

I guess it's a lesson in buying second hand.

If you have already commenced disassembly then you are most of the way there. Refitting the rear axle is the same as the disassembly process in reverse. Peters Spares have the nut spinner the required size to remove the rod mounting bolts.

I regularly purchase secondhand with few issues. I note that like Bachmann, Hornby went through a period of split drive gears and I have replaced a few. At the time Bachmann and Hornby shared production with Sanda Kan.

Itsonlyme

Postby Itsonlyme » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:04 am

Well I messaged peters spares and asked if he has anything suitable. Going to need a soulding iron as well (I did have one)

Itsonlyme

Postby Itsonlyme » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:51 am

Well I spoke with Peters spares and its seems my only option is a new chassis as the compatible wheels aren't avaible. Managed to find one ebay.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:26 pm

That does seem a viable option as long as the replacement chassis is not too expensive and has the parts you need.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Itsonlyme

Postby Itsonlyme » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:52 pm

Well it was a complete chassis listed as running like new for £40. The original set only cost me 135 anyway (and I think the original has more hidden issues). On the brightside I now have some spare parts.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Return to “Electronics”