Soldering

Post all your model railway electronic problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Ironduke

Re: Soldering

Postby Ironduke » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:13 pm

You should clean the tip if it isn't holding the solder properly. Most new soldering stations come with a sponge for wiping the tip. Wet the sponge and wipe the tip each time you apply solder.
If the tip is very dirty you can clean it with steel wool. Re-tin it with liquid flux and solder afterwards. If it's too far gone replace it.
Regards
Rob

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:14 pm

If anyone's interested i ended up ordering some liquid flux This stuff from ebay

Compared to the normal stuff i have been using it works well, I have been dipping in the wires before tinning them and again before soldering them into the track. Overall i am getting a much cleaner finish - i think its down to less flux as dipping it in means your coating the wire and thats it. The bottle comes with a small brush built into the lid which has also been really useful.

the only downside is the bottle - its plastic so light, that with its small footprint means its liable to toppling over so you need to be more careful.

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:25 pm

Perfect flux for use on any electrical joint if additional flux is needed. Reflow flux tends to be alcohol based so ensure the top is securely replaced quickly after use or it will disappear quickly.
To stop it falling over place the bottle inside an old coffee mug, which makes the whole lot much more stable. But don't pick it up and drink the contents in error!! :o
Image << Click the Icon to go to my website

Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Return to “Electronics”