PECO Code 75 Double Slip Wiring

Post all your model railway electronic problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Southern Region

PECO Code 75 Double Slip Wiring

Postby Southern Region » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:27 pm

Hello all. I am having problems in successfully wiring up a live frog double slip using SEEP PM1 motors, I have tried every way within my capabilities but without success. Could anyone offer a simple diagram or idiots guide for me please. Alan

UrbanHermit

Re: PECO Code 75 Double Slip Wiring

Postby UrbanHermit » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:53 pm

Obvious question maybe, but are you using insulated joiners on the four inner rails, the ones in the vee of the slip? Apart from that, I think we need more info, at least whether your layout is DC or DCC.
"I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, and I'm here for the hell of it now." (Kirsty MacColl)

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:14 pm

The DS has two frogs and two frog wires it also needs two frog swiches, usually via a Point motors movement. In your case Seep PM1. NOTE, the Seeps must be fitted absolutly in line with the points moving tie bar above and central so as the motor has equal throw and their contacts make both ways.(F to D and F to E).

Assuming you have installed the minimum of four IRJs onto the ends of the Vee rails, then connect left frog wire to right motors F tab. Connect right frog wire to left motors F tab. On each motor connect two track feed wires to D & E tabs on both motors. Note, if the two motors face each other one will have the wires on D & E reversed to the other motor.

Wiring is here..http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/Electricalpage2.html#DOUBLE

Southern Region

Postby Southern Region » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:08 pm

Thank you guys, yes I am using DCC and had used insulating rail joiners at the frog. I think the suggestion of completely centralising the SEEP may have been the problem. I shall start again and utilise your wiring advice. Alan.

abenn

Postby abenn » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:14 pm

I had trouble with my single slips until I saw the diagram, like in Flashbang's link, that explained that the switch on one point motor switches the power to the other frog, and vice versa. After a bit of time with the diagram and some coloured pencils it all made sense :idea:

Bramshot

Postby Bramshot » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:29 pm

At risk of being a moaning minnie, I would not trust those switches. I used SEEPs with the switches controlling indicator LEDs on a mimic board to show point position. They worked fine for about 2 - 3 months then started to become erratic, some would no longer make contact at all. On inspection I found that the sliding action of the contact washer was wearing away the solder pads on the pcb.

I was using with PECO N gauge settrack points, so the throw distance is quite small. May be better with OO gauge.

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:36 am

Yes it's the same with the Peco switches too, particularly if you're in a dusty environment. I threw all my solenoids out and bought Tortoise motors. These not only work perfectly, but they're much gentler on the blades.
Pete.

Return to “Electronics”