Hornby Evening Star/9F Controller Cutout

Post all your model railway electronic problems, solutions and discoverys here.
dantgk1

Hornby Evening Star/9F Controller Cutout

Postby dantgk1 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:57 am

Hi

Not sure if this should be in Hornby or Electronics so took a punt for here.

I acquired a 2nd hand Hornby Evening Star in BR green on eBay and when it gets on the track, it moves about 2mm and then trips the thermal cutout on the controller. I have read that the R965 can struggle with older locos. I have no idea on the age of Evening Star but can't be more than 40 years old. I also have a early 80's GWR Hall Class that runs just fine with the controller and an similar age HST which needs a good service but moves.

I have tried a second 9F tender and the same problem with the controller cutout. Is this likely to be a controller issue or the motor needed a good cleanup? If the latter, can anyone give me any pointers of what I should be looking out for and the best approach to getting it running again?

Many thanks

Dan

Bufferstop

Re: Hornby Evening Star/9F Controller Cutout

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:44 pm

Some of Hornby's tender drives come from the dark ages of Hornby design. First check that you don't have a wiring problem. If the thermal cutout operates in seconds that's a short circuit, the slight delay is the time the cutout takes to reach tripping temperature. Is one leg of the supply derived from the loco chassis, have any of the wheelsets been put in the wrong way around? All wheels wrong way round = won't go, some wheels wrong way round = short circuit. Other source may be around the loco/tender coupling pin, some designs use a pair of contacts which are easily bent and cause a short. In the past I've ended up removing them and wiring directly between loco chassis and motor.
There's another problem which can cause rapid overload, but both tender drives would have to be suffering from it. When Hornby design quality hit rock bottom they used a magnet which consisted of a fabric tube stuffed with granular ferrous matter, wound into a ring shape. It can loose magnetism very rapidly. Without a strong magnetic field excess current will flow continually.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

dantgk1

Postby dantgk1 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:53 pm

thanks for replying. Yes, 1 leg of the supply does come from the loco as the tender will not move without it attached. The contacts between the loco and the tender have been bent so will look at wiring directly like the Dapol Dean Goods I have.

How could I tell if the wheelsets have been put in the wrong way? I don't have the loco to hand as I write this to see if there is anything glaringly obvious.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:32 pm

First check the tender drive unit. If those wheels have been reversed for the wheels on the end axles the gears on the wheel back would be on the wrong side to mesh with the drive. The centre axle if it is a full axle and not two floating stubs, would cause a short circuit if the wheel on the side with the traction tyres would have to be a solid metal one. Assuming the connection to the loco is to the chassis the wheels which pick up are the ones with no plastic bush on the axle, they need to be on the same rail as the tender's traction tyres sit. I don't think Hornby extended pick up to the leading and trailing wheels on models from that period.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

dantgk1

Postby dantgk1 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:34 pm

finally got round to looking at the loco. Just a simple short circuit where the tender joins the loco. The strips of metal on top of the coupling had bent inwards causing the short.

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:56 pm

Good stuff!! I like seeing problems solved as someone else is bound to have the same and find this thread and forum. It also shows with a little advice most things get resolved!

Well done Bufferstop 8)

Return to “Electronics”