Peco N-Gauge Code 55 Point Wiring Help Needed

Post all your model railway electronic problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Paul-H

Peco N-Gauge Code 55 Point Wiring Help Needed

Postby Paul-H » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:13 am

Hi all

Hopefully a quick question

The instructions for Peco OO Gauge electrofrog points show how to modify them to power the fog, ie using bridging wires and cutting links etc but their instructions for the N gauge versions make no mention of these modifications

Are the n gauge versions modified in the same way or is there a different option needed.

I have had a look at were the link wires should be and cannot see how to cut the link without doing terminal damage.

Thanks for any help with this

Paul

Flashbang

Re: Peco N-Gauge Code 55 Point Wiring Help Needed

Postby Flashbang » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:55 pm

Hi
As per my reply on the MRF...
Normally the conversion where the two tiny link wires bridging two factory fitted gaps in the closure rails are cut and frog polarity switching has to be used is only on OO or larger track.
N gauge points don't suffer from wheel shorting problems therefore the gaping isn't necessary.
On N gauge electrofrog points just feed the frog from a suitable point or point motor operated change-over switch. Don't forget to fit Insulated Rail Joiners (IRJs) to the points Vee rail ends where the tracks have feeds after the point.
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Bramshot

Postby Bramshot » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:15 am

Flashbang wrote:
N gauge points don't suffer from wheel shorting problems therefore the gaping isn't necessary.

My Peco settrack insulfrog ones do, at the frog.

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:28 am

Bramshot wrote:
Flashbang wrote:

My Peco settrack insulfrog ones do, at the frog.

But they are not Electrofrog Code 55 points, which is what the post and comments are about!

Insulated frog point issues are totally different and they can have metal wheel treads being able to bridge the two metal rails at their closest position, which is either immediately before or immediately after the plastic frog. If all metal wheels have correct B2B then adding IRJs to the problem points Vee rail ends will solve the issue, but then you often need to add new rail feeds after the point.

Bramshot

Postby Bramshot » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:32 am

Flashbang wrote:

But they are not Electrofrog Code 55 points, which is what the post and comments are about!

Yes, sorry Flashbang :oops:
However, your comment could be taken to mean N gauge points in general.
The solution is indeed exactly as you describe.

Paul-H

Postby Paul-H » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:03 pm

Hi all

Thanks for the replies

I asked Peco about doing the OO version mods to their N Gauge points and they replied that the n gauge version does not need the mod shown on their OO points instruction, just feed power to the entry tracks and insulate the V section, that's it nothing else needed not even a frog polarity switch.

Checked them out with a multimeter and it looks like they care correct.

Paul

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:04 am

Paul-H wrote:Hi all

Thanks for the replies

I asked Peco about doing the OO version mods to their N Gauge points and they replied that the n gauge version does not need the mod shown on their OO points instruction, just feed power to the entry tracks and insulate the V section, that's it nothing else needed not even a frog polarity switch.

Checked them out with a multimeter and it looks like they care correct.

Paul

Hi

That statement re power feeding and nothing else needed also applies to all Electrofrog Peco points N or OO etc. They work straight from the box, so long as IRJs are add to the Vee rail ends.
However, if you want to remove the reliance on the point blade contact to the stock rail adding some form of frog switching over comes this and makes the point far more reliable rail power wise (and data too for the DCC user).

Paul-H

Postby Paul-H » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:17 pm

How do you modify the N gauge version as the don't have the built in link wires to cut that the O Gauge version does

abenn

Postby abenn » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:21 pm

With N-gauge you have to solder your own feeder wire onto the short link wire that's underneath. I don't understand why they don't supply it from the factory with an extension already attached, like they do with the 00-gauge ones.

Paul-H

Postby Paul-H » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:29 am

As the n gauge version does not have the link wires on the moving rail do I have to cut the rail isolating the frog from the moving rail or do I just cut the wires underneath which connect the frog, then feed that frog wire from my point motors frog supply point.

Thanks

Paul-H

Postby Paul-H » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:45 am

Found this video which shows how to mod n gauge points, all in German but easy to follow.

https://youtu.be/DlZIO7XE6xY

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:33 am

IMO the full conversion is great, but its worth remembering that some of the conversion shown isn't really necessary on Peco Code 55 N gauge Electrofrog points, some of the conversion is only needed where stall/slow motion point motors or servos are used to operate the points!
Warning... If you remove the over centre spring and you're using standard non latching solenoid motors the point blades probably won't hold over tightly to the stock rail.

See post 2 above re bridging stock to closure rails. Code 55 Peco Electrofrog points don't suffer from metal wheels being able to touch the inside faces of the open point blade. The open gap between stock and switch rail is too great.

Frog feeding is normally used as it will improve rail power (and DCC data) transfer into the point. So a wire, if not factory fitted, needs to be soldered to one of the Vee rails or the link wires underneath. The frog wire is also then back feeding into the closed switch rail, removing reliance on the switch rail making 100% contact onto the stock rail. How the frogs polarity is switched is dependant on whats operating the point. Change-over switch fitted to the point motor, micro switch installed adjacent to the point and its lever operated by the points moving tie bar (Stretcher bar) or just a simple slide switch for WIT operation.

Return to “Electronics”