Gaugemaster Autofrog

Post all your model railway electronic problems, solutions and discoverys here.
js1975

Gaugemaster Autofrog

Postby js1975 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:14 am

Hi all. Has anyone used these from Gaugemaster?

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details ... ster+DCC80

Was trying to think why you would use this gadget and not a point motor with switch? Unless you were converting a DC layout to DCC maybe?

b308

Re: Gaugemaster Autofrog

Postby b308 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:35 am

If you use DC you'd be daft not to switch the frog polarity if you use electrofrogs so that that reason out! If I use Peco point motors I just use the PL-13 switch at half the price...

It would look as if it doesn't need to be attached to the point motor and has other stuff on it that will talk to your DCC controller?

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:51 am

Its solely for use on a DCC (Digital) layout.

If you're a DC (Analogue) user and you want frog polarity changing then use either a change-over switch (SPDT) worked by the point motor or the point itself. Or where solenoid motors are used (Seep, Hornby, Peco etc) use a latching relay to change frog polarity. A ready made latching unit is produced by Gaugemaster part number GM500. While item GM500D is for use with solenoid points operated from a DCC accessory decoder.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:38 pm

There are a few point motors out there that are incapable of supporting a switch and as in my case, those that use servo motors have no switch (unless there is a clever bracket that can support one), so this is ideal in those cases (plus no setup or possibility of misalignment of said switch)
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Bramshot

Postby Bramshot » Sat May 06, 2017 1:01 pm

From the statement that it detects the polarity of the incoming wheel, I infer that the frog is kept open circuit, I.e. not connected to anything, until the first wheel makes contact. The unit then detects the polarity of the wheel ( as it is connected to the other wheels on that side which are still powered), and makes the frog live with the correct polarity. Presumably it somehow makes the frog open circuit again after the loco ( or illuminated coach?) has passed, a timer maybe? Quite clever, really.
I guess this means you don't have to use the mechanically linked synchronising switches etc. otherwise involved in correctly energising the frog. Maybe this device may be simpler / easier? No direct experience as all my points are insulfrog.

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Sat May 06, 2017 2:38 pm

£6 a pop so how many points do you need to use this on? Does it do flat crossings as well? Guess so as principle is same right?
OO in the loft. Lenz 90 making it go.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sat May 06, 2017 3:04 pm

Bramshot wrote:From the statement that it detects the polarity of the incoming wheel, I infer that the frog is kept open circuit, I.e. not connected to anything, until the first wheel makes contact. The unit then detects the polarity of the wheel ( as it is connected to the other wheels on that side which are still powered), and makes the frog live with the correct polarity. Presumably it somehow makes the frog open circuit again after the loco ( or illuminated coach?) has passed, a timer maybe? Quite clever, really.

"Frog is kept open circuit" is not right. Its just a change over switch (relay), but is latching (remembers last position), so frog is always live. Frog juicers use electronics that detect a short and reverse the polarity with semiconductors (really quickly), the DCC80 senses the potential short (but has a resistor in circuit that limits the short current) and uses the sensed voltage drop, to flip the relay.
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index ... #msg392153

Really clever little circuit! I suspect the recycle label is to cover the relay part number, as you will be lucky to find a latching relay as cheap as this whole circuit!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat May 06, 2017 4:47 pm

Without knowing its internal circuit it's difficult to say what would happen if it was used on a DC layout. Both DCC and DC systems have a track with alternating polarity, the difference being that DCC reverses many times per second DC only reverses after very, very many seconds ie when the controller reverses the loco. You need to know the circuit to predict whether it can spot the difference.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Sat May 13, 2017 5:00 pm

Went to this show:

http://bit.ly/2qDkUuy

Couldn't find anyone who had any there. However it was quite busy. Spent £30 on some Evergreen plastic bits. Am in the wrong business...!
OO in the loft. Lenz 90 making it go.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sat May 13, 2017 10:58 pm

lozstlouis wrote:Went to this show:

http://bit.ly/2qDkUuy

Couldn't find anyone who had any there. However it was quite busy. Spent £30 on some Evergreen plastic bits. Am in the wrong business...!

Try this shop http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5x-Styrene-St ... 5731.m3795 , nearly as cheap as Chinese ones!

Return to “Electronics”