Making a single gate move. HELP!

Post all your model railway electronic problems, solutions and discoverys here.
TimberSurf

Re: Making a single gate move. HELP!

Postby TimberSurf » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:46 am

Yes that "Pointer" is the same, just smaller magnet, I cant guarantee its brass, but they are all some sort of malleable soft non ferrous metal. I have fixed aerials in the past and know they are yellow under the chrome plating and can be soldered. I need one myself for my hydraulic car lift, so was going to investigate further before publishing the tip on my website.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:31 pm

What would I cut that with? I don't have any dowel to push inside to stop the tubing flattening out. :?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:12 pm

Would these be the answer to the car lift, use a centre piston type link
You probably wouldn't need to cut any tube, just extract the 2 telescoping bits. You'd have enough to make 4 total ***** ups and still get one good one. :)
Are Aerials wholly brass or just the end bit. I fixed a folding one on a small radio and it was stainless steel apart from the bit with the hinge, that was brass.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:13 pm

End2end wrote:I really don't need the 30cms + being sold on the bay as I need the 2 different sizes and can't see me using anymore that what I need for this gate project
What do you even cut brass tube with?

I use a Dremmel-like rotary tool for cutting brass tube. I bought a 1 metre length of brass tube and a 1m length of "piano wire" that fits snugly inside from my local shop about ten years ago and I'm still using it, in 1 cm lengths at a time it seems. Very handy stuff.
Regards
Rob

End2end

Postby End2end » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:04 pm

I finished making up the actual gate from the kit last night.
I worked out that even though the gates move the same way, the way they are made is actually better for me so I didn't attempt to turn it upside meaning not having to cut the lamp of and glue it back on the other horizontal bar. :D

The front with the stupid "cut me out" circular sticker which I decided looked rubbish after all the white scraping that appeared trying to remove it from it's backing paper so I painted over it in situ. (I'll explain the cotton buds after the pictures)
fhlevelcrossing3sm.jpg
fhlevelcrossing3sm.jpg (112.21 KiB) Viewed 194 times

The rear.
fhlevelcrossing4sm.jpg
fhlevelcrossing4sm.jpg (116.05 KiB) Viewed 194 times

I've shown the pictures with the cotton buds for a reason. Those of you eagle eye modellers will notice that the cotton bud shaft is slighty bigger than the gate post. Yes... It fits! :D
This I can use as a vertical shaft off the gate post directly. Although this still doesn't solve the problem/engineering for what im trying to do, at least I can use this shaft to get below the baseboard level to whatever it will connect to.
I can push and glue a toothpick inside the cotton bud somewhat but hopefully enough so I won't flatten the cotton bud if I use say, a screw tight connector to attach the shaft to whatever the next bit will be to connect to the servo.
This will need some experiments as to how far in the toothpick can be pushed in.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Return to “Electronics”