Live frog switching

Basic electrical and electronics, such as DC/Analog control.
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Live frog switching

Postby flying scotsman123 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:42 pm

Right, so I understand the idea behind it, and reading Flashbang's website has been very helpful in how to do that using Peco motors and their accessory switch, but how do I do it if I want to use other point motors? Presumably the Peco switch will not fit onto anyone else's point motor, so what switches/wiring do I want? I've got a few Hornby point motors kicking around, and my local model shop has a myriad of different solenoid motors at very good prices, so if I knew how to do live frog switching with any point motor it would be great.

I'm planning on using this setup for wiring the point motors themselves if it makes any difference:

Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

Tricky Dicky

Re: Live frog switching

Postby Tricky Dicky » Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:36 pm

A simple micro switch connected to the tie bar is all you need. Connect the common (COM) to the frog and the (NC) and (NO) to the track feeds. With the tie bar pressing the micro switch actuator at one end of its movement the normally closed terminal (NC) will be disconnected and the normally open (NO) terminal will be connected. When the tie bar moves the other way NC will be restored and NO will open. It is just a case of connecting the correct feed wires to those two terminals and that can be worked out easily by trial and error.

Alternatively, go for motors with built in switches, e.g. Cobalt, Tortoise & SEEP to name a few, take care though the quality of switching varies quite a lot.

Richard

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:50 pm

The Peco switches (PL-13) can be used with the Hornby R8014 point motors. They fit just the same as they would do on the similar Peco point motor.

flying scotsman123

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:38 pm

Many thanks for the replies.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:25 pm

If you're using the 'individual capacitor' switching method, you can use DPDT switches instead of SPDT. The second pole of the switch is then used for controlling live frog polarity.

What this does is free up any microswitch mounted to the point motor for other purposes such as indicator lights. Doing it this way round gives a positive indication that the points have indeed thrown. Any other method just means the lights will tell you that yes, you have just moved the switch.

Seep PM-1 motors have a built-in switch. Peco PL-13 switches will fit to hornby R8014 motors- the two are virtually the same design and I'm actually surprised Hornby got away with cloning the Peco product!
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

flying scotsman123

Postby flying scotsman123 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:59 pm

Thanks Pete, yes I realised this when you were talking on my other thread! I can't say I'm particularly worried about having indicator lights for points, I'll be close enough such that I can check myself, and I think motorised semaphore signals are a bit beyond me at the moment, especially as I suspect I'll have to do some bashing with any kits I get.

Return to “Electrical & Electronics”