Adding Point Motors - Now or Later?

Post all your model railway electronic problems, solutions and discoverys here.
MichaelUKJones

Adding Point Motors - Now or Later?

Postby MichaelUKJones » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:18 pm

Hi all,

I am at the stage where I am happy with my layout and will soon be fixing it down. I have watched some tutorials on installing point motors and I think that I nearly understand the electronics of it. Some videos refer to a pre-drilled hole that the creator would have drilled in advance to fixing down the track which they can return to when ready to install the motor.

Where should this hole be drilled?

I am not sure if I will be adding the motors in at this stage so I think this would be useful to do now, to avoid having to rip track up later on.

Thanks,

Mike
WARNING: I'm new! Stupid questions may be asked!

b308

Re: Adding Point Motors - Now or Later?

Postby b308 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:55 pm

If you intend to ballast the track then it's preferable to fit them before that... If it's for your shunting layout, Mike, you could probably not bother with motors as you are in easy reach of all the points.

It's simple enough to mount and wire point motors as long as you do a logical approach, personally I prefer to use the motors that attach to the underside of the point but you have to be careful when ballasting...

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/el ... itting.htm
Last edited by b308 on Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnN

Postby JohnN » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:56 pm

Definitely make the holes in the base board now, before the track is fixed. The hole or slot needs to be under the tiebar. The tiebar has a hole in it for the point motor rod. Switching the point should indicate to you the range of movement and therefore the size of hole or slot required.

cheshire

Postby cheshire » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:03 pm

Mike

The size of holes you need depend on which point motors you intend to use .You can use surface motors so no hole needed . if like me I use seep which are screwed beneath the layout so I drill a 13mm hole directly beneath the centre of the tie bar which I do by using a 1mm drill through the tie bar hole when central then drill the 13mm hole . But using Hornby or peco that fit directly under the point you will need I large hole for the point motor to go in

MichaelUKJones

Postby MichaelUKJones » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:34 pm

Thanks all for your replies - I still haven't really decided weather or not I want to incorporate Point Motors because as b308 says, my layout is easily accessible and relatively small.

Thanks,

Mike
WARNING: I'm new! Stupid questions may be asked!

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:57 pm

Hi
Whatever you decide upon and regardless of point motor style - solinoid or stall type I would highly recommend you drill a hole or make a slot under each points moving stretcher bar (tie bar). Then if you opt for below baseboard motors the drive pin hole is already there, even if you never use them they are easier to do before fixing down the track and virtually impossible to do once the point is laid and possibly ballasted.
Regardless of motor type in OO you will need a hole approx 9mm or 10mm dia or a slot some 4mm wide x 9mm or 10mm long.
Lay point into its final position. With a pencil or small scribe (Nail etc) hold the point blades central and mark the baseboard surface through the hole in the moving stretcher bar. Remove point and using the mark either drill a 9mm or 10mm dia hole directly on the mark or make a slot by drilling two 4mm dia holes either side of the mark across the point. If making a slot allow the drill bit go from one hole into the other creating the slot. With a stanley type knife blade trim the hole or slot to remove any rough edges and to also countersink the hole or slot slightly, then finally lay the point. The hole drilled will be mostly if not fully covered by the points moulding around the stretcher bar.
Later on, the under baseboard motor can be fitted and its drive pin passed up through the baseboard into the stretcher bar hole and then it's trimmed off at the top of the stretcher bar. I use a pair of 'pound shop' wire cutters for this.
Note the above works for all under baseboard fitting point motors - Seep PM, Hornby, Peco PL10, Tortoise, Cobalt etc.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

John Geeeee

Postby John Geeeee » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:38 pm

Hi Mike
Just make sure you note how the layout will be sited on the baseboard. If you do decide to fit point motors underneath then be sure you have not located a point tie bar directly above any underboard strengtheners/batons etc as it will make cutting or drilling the hole more difficult if not impossible.
"Go on, just one more board, pleeeeeaaaase?"
My Layout Thread
My Photobucket Albums

Return to “Electronics”