Power connector between baseboards

Post all your model railway electronic problems, solutions and discoverys here.
noel

Re: Power connector between baseboards

Postby noel » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:08 am

+

I always rummage old computers for the leads and the Molex connectors.

+

Tricky Dicky

Postby Tricky Dicky » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:24 pm

If you want to use D-connectors without having to solder then getting hold of a ready made lead with a male and female plug on either end is one way to go. Simply split the lead using terminal strips to connect the wires to the electrics on either board and plugging the male into the female connector to make the join. One warning though, as these leads are for data transmission the wires are quite thin and not suitable for anything that operates at high currents such as a DCC bus or solenoid points motors. For LED lighting and the like they are OK.

Richard

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:01 am

That's almost my method, only I used two such cables. the one I cut in two and wired half into the board and the other half into the control board, mounted the connectors in the fascias, and used the other lead to connect them together. If you get the really fat version of these cables the conductors are OK for solenoid motors if you are using a CDU, and for DC traction circuits just double up on the wires. Having the separate cable to make the connection avoids damage when the boards are being moved. Sods law says that the trailing connector on the control board will catch in the door frame as you are carrying it into the exhibition hall. :x
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Tricky Dicky

Postby Tricky Dicky » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:10 am

Sorry John, for repeating your previous post, I had not read the thread through before posting. I take your point about solenoid motors and doubling up of connectors but would still not risk a DCC bus no matter how many wires were linked in this type connector.

Richard

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:12 am

I like Geoff T's (Dad-1) idea of connecting the DCC bus to the two snapover fasteners that pull the boards together. Nothing to lose, nothing to have to connect. One of the first portable layouts I saw had strips of brass (The contacts from flat batteries) fastened down one face, making contact with brass headed drawing pins on the mating one. I gather they worked but were high maintenance.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

dan8400

Postby dan8400 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:36 am

Hi everyone,

just found these on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D-SUB-Header- ... 25851a5aa6

Are they any good? I assume you connect your wiring to the terminals, screw down the unit and then buy a male plug to solder to the next baseboards wires and plug them together

Can it really be that simple?

Thanks
Dan
My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30117

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:08 am

they look really useful - might have to invest in some for my control panel wiring

would be good to know if anyone else has used them successfully

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:25 am

Hi
IMO sub D connectors are a great way of connecting circuits across baseboards or to the control panel. Normally each pin is rated at 5Amp though that should be specification checked as it does vary maker to maker.
Those on the break out boards seem very expensive and the socket is directly connected to the plug then onto the terminal connections. So just one of the two D connections would normally be used. Great idea for testing though as both versions of one type of connection are on the one board.

I prefer to make up my own leads using 7/0.2mm or 16/0.2mm equipment wire and encase the lot either in heat shrink tubing or make a PVC insulating tape sheath over the wires. You can even make a cable of wires with coiled spiral wrap or just use cable ties placed every couple of inches.
Soldering the 9 and 25 way type is fairly easy, but avoid the 3 row 15 way version (call High Density) as its very hard to solder the wires to the bucket connections. The 15 way two row version is OK though.
I slip in small piece of heat shrink tubing, (1.5mm dis) and solder wire then once cooled and checked slip the tubing down over the solder bucket and soldered wire. You can leave the tubing either loose as they can't really move once all the wires are installed and the clamp and shell (cover) are fitted, but there is no reason why they can't be shrunk down if wished. :D
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:45 am

I thought DCC was there to simplify things! My new layout (see layout thread) is DC with three boards, all self contained (section switches and point control on each board as appropriate) and a four wire connector between them, the connectors consist of 2 feed wires for loco control and 2 for point motor power feeds using Maplin's 4 (or 6, they ran out of 4s!) pin audio plugs... Simples...

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:44 pm

b308 wrote:I thought DCC was there to simplify things! My new layout (see layout thread) is DC with three boards, all self contained (section switches and point control on each board as appropriate) and a four wire connector between them, the connectors consist of 2 feed wires for loco control and 2 for point motor power feeds using Maplin's 4 (or 6, they ran out of 4s!) pin audio plugs... Simples...

As the OP posted the original question in the non DCC section I assume we are talking mainly about dc layouts?
But with DC or DCC there is often the need for analogue circuits to span baseboard joins.
I use DCC for loco control but have until recently used conventional analogue point motor control controlled from one mimic panel. I now use MERG DCC encoder and accessory Decoders with the panel. The analogue method required two wires to each motor and a common motor return. LED indication from the points fed by the DCC rail power also require wires back to the panel. Control of building and street lighting etc need further wires panel out to the layout. Then there's the signalling controls too!
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:53 pm

i think you can make DC and DCC wiring as complex or simple as you want :lol:

if you want to reduce the number of wires between sections placing switches on their relevant section will reduce the number of wires between the baseboards

but if you want to have your control panel in one place then you will increase the number of wires going between the sections

edit:
if you use accessory decoders to control lighting / points etc you should be able to limit the wires between the sections to just two

InterCity125

Postby InterCity125 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:47 pm

Flashbang wrote:
b308 wrote:I thought DCC was there to simplify things! My new layout (see layout thread) is DC with three boards, all self contained (section switches and point control on each board as appropriate) and a four wire connector between them, the connectors consist of 2 feed wires for loco control and 2 for point motor power feeds using Maplin's 4 (or 6, they ran out of 4s!) pin audio plugs... Simples...

As the OP posted the original question in the non DCC section I assume we are talking mainly about dc layouts?
But with DC or DCC there is often the need for analogue circuits to span baseboard joins.
I use DCC for loco control but have until recently used conventional analogue point motor control controlled from one mimic panel. I now use MERG DCC encoder and accessory Decoders with the panel. The analogue method required two wires to each motor and a common motor return. LED indication from the points fed by the DCC rail power also require wires back to the panel. Control of building and street lighting etc need further wires panel out to the layout. Then there's the signalling controls too!

You would be correct in assuming that this is a non-DCC layout. Far too complicated and expensive for me! I think I might use the D-plugs as they would be ideal, but knowing me, I'll change my mind about 5 times after this! :D
http://modelrailpenzance.wordpress.com/
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=43236
Favourite diesel loco: 47 406 'Rail Riders' (Class 47)/ 9006 'The Fife and Forfare Yeomanry' (Deltic)
Favourite steam loco: 3705 (Pannier)

b308

Postby b308 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:26 am

alex3410 wrote:i think you can make DC and DCC wiring as complex or simple as you want :lol:

Very true...

retiredoperator

Postby retiredoperator » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:39 pm

Hi Modellers I thought that I would throw in my twopenny worth? Apparently in the US they swear by "Anderson Power Poles", these are red and black plastic which have to be assembled
Fortunately soldering doesn't come into it, the ends of the wires are stripped in the normal way. But the terminals are crimped on, which means buying the crimpers, then you push on the plastic part until it clicks, they fit together in pairs or blocks, it's up to you. Check em out online. Happy modelling Kev

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:46 pm

Anderson Power Poles, yes they are good, 45A capacity, configurable for a multipole and reverse M-F or F-M and you can even get hoods to neaten up the look, but at a £1 a pop, they are not cheap! No one will beat a SCART for 21 pins at 3Amp for £1.45!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Return to “Electronics”