Coach lighting

Post all your model railway electronic problems, solutions and discoverys here.
beeman
Location: Within earshot of the sea and the Paignton&Dartmouth

Coach lighting

Postby beeman » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:39 pm

Coach lighting query. The wire in tube method I concocted for the Triang Pullmans I recently lit, while worked, proved difficult to connect together, age and eyes getting on etc., so how have others succeeded to connect a rake of 5-6 coaches together on DCC, so coaches can be parted, lighting switched on/off from controller, with no flicker,no permanent wiring between, and not connected to loco, allowing loco change. and lighting staying on during change :?: Now using the warm white LED strips for coach internal lighting, rather than individual led's, a limiting resistor in each coach/strip feed to reduce the normal too bright light O/P, find 1K ohms about right. Recently got 5m warm white off ebay p&p inc for £9.99, Reckon some will get used indoors to help the bills.Beeman.
Last edited by beeman on Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You wo'nt find you 'CAN' unless you 'TRY'.

Tricky Dicky

Re: Coach lighting

Postby Tricky Dicky » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:20 pm

At a guess they have metal wheeled coaches and are using brass or phosphor bronze pickups on them to collect power from the track and have fitted out the coaches with individual function decoders.

Richard

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:14 am

http://shop.krois-modell.com/Krois-Mode ... ::1_9.html

This is what I have considered using on my roco Krockodil.
Marginally cheaper than fitting a decoder in every carriage. but a bit more of a pain to fit. And you would have to watch the current draw on the decoder accessory output.
The decoder in each carriage has one problem I can see.... all the decoders would have to be programmed to the same address as the loco, a problem only arises if you want to use the same rake with different locos
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

jcm@gwr

Postby jcm@gwr » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:17 pm

Quoting your tag line:-
'the only stupid question is the one you don't ask'.
Why do the coach decoders need to be programmed to the same as the loco?
Surely you could have them programmed on their own [or as a rake if using
fixed couplings]. I have done this with the Dapol track cleaning wagon, you
just swop between addresses as necc.
Cheers, Jeff

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:13 am

Didnt think of that... then you could run them as a consist so that one press turns all lights on and off.
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

beeman

Postby beeman » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:37 pm

Re Essex2Visuvesi comment about decoder auxiliary loads, At present doing another set of 5 with the LED lighting strips. each coach takes 5 sections of 3 led's /coach, so 15 led's in each coach. As they are too bright in the supplied strip, the master coach has one 1/2 wave diode for the 5 coaches and a 1k resistor in each coach for each strip of 15 led's, to reduce the brightness to a realistic level. The overall load is still only between 70/100 mA., cannot be specific as 1/2 wave AC. but well under the O/P of a decoder lighting output. As posted previously, Iam using the front and rear lighting O/P's, each through a diode to a reed relay to switch the lights of the 5 coaches on/off.so the reed relay is not affected by loco direction change,staying enabled. If used normally would change over the lighting to each end if wired direct from the decoder. Track power taken thro the 1/2 wave diode + relay contacts to switch the 5 coaches, Oh, forgot the tailight, this is a 1.8mm red led with the 'front' pip filed off, virtually scale, fed thro a 10k resistor to give realistic o/p.on the same supply. Beeman.

beeman

Postby beeman » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:49 am

Some of the suggestions offered are applicable. Obviously the decoder can have its own address, to operate independent of the loco, so allowing loco change. If all the coaches are fitted with pickups the total drag created could stop some locos pulling them. Fitting decoders to each coach would be expensive. Metal wheels needed to at least one coach for track power pickup. At least one decoder/relay needs fitting to operate the coach consist,so remotely switching them on/off answered, but no one yet has suggesting how the other requirements can be achieved, Quote. so how have others succeeded to connect a rake of 5-up coaches together on DCC, so coaches can be parted, lighting switched with no flicker,no permanent wiring between, and not connected to loco, allowing loco change. with lighting staying on during change still interested how to do. Beeman.

Martin71

Postby Martin71 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:17 am

Hi

I have had up to 12 coaches each with its own decoder running plus the 3 decoders in the loco but thats not an option for you (re your Bank managers comment). I get fully independent lighting no flicker etc.

Ok the answer you want is a product currently under development which will allow you to link all your coaches and disconnect at your leisure without removing from track and its not a powered coupling. Its not far away now and that's all I can say as if other manufacturers get wind of it it will surely be copied.

At the end of the day to meet those requirements 1 decoder per coach is best.

Cheers

Martin

beeman

Postby beeman » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:39 pm

This was a query to find if others had been able to meet the criteria I suggested, and still interested if/how others have solved.perhaps by better methods. Re connecting the coaches,I tried using 2 x 0.4mm brass wires inserted into a bogie, capable of 'plugging' into the next coach bogie which had 2 fine metal tubes, sort you get on printer ink refills. fitted in the bogie. each connected to the electrics in each coach, splayed outwards to contact at a level just above the couplers. Whilst this worked it was most difficult to insert when joining due to the coach overhang of the bogie. I tried 0.6mm wire , this proved too springy, and not allowed the bogies to move sufficiently, This 0,4mm was bent to create a 'female' end, a small ring formed on the wire end so that the other will enter. then bent at 90'. The ends of the plain wire on the next coach bogie slightly different in length to aid joining. The length of these correct otherwise fouling can occur on bends, and me having R1 's. I have now completed 10 sets of 5 coaches using this method, and after a few initial adjustments works fine. and may take a few runs around to get the connections to 'rub' together. 4 of the coach sets I fitted with motor stuffed decoders in the brake where decoder lighting functions are OK , some are manually switched, others no switching.. Having a brakes 8 wheels for pickup I get no flicker, even surprisingly on the other 4 in the set if the inter coach connections are adjusted correctly. and as one poster suggested if power is taken direct from track a bridge rectifier and storage capacitor can be fitted if required, rather than expensive gismo's bought.I admit whilst a manual/solenoid uncoupler can be used, the coach connections need to be made manually, entering the 0.4mm wire into less than 1mm ring. in my case a magnifying glass at times. No probs if the coaches are kept as set, loco's changed at will. Beeman.

Return to “Electronics”