Mimic Control Panels

Basic electrical and electronics, such as DC/Analog control.
Welsh_Trident_Man

Mimic Control Panels

Postby Welsh_Trident_Man » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:45 pm

Hello,

My layout is split into three boards each with its only control panel, powered from a Gaugemaster M1 transformer on the central 'control board'.
The set up works fine, but I want to add another three panels (identical to the others) on the front of the three boards. This will enable me to have the layout operated from a fun at home mode via the front to watch the trains, and from the rear for show mode.

The panels are/will be all the same, so two sets of three.
Am I correct in thinking it is as 'easy' as having a 'junction' in each point motor wiring loom before, then running the same combo of wires to the mimic panel on the front ? Same set up for uncouplers to ?

I have very little knowledge of wiring apart from the basic's.

Thanks Gents.

Roger (RJ)

Re: Mimic Control Panels

Postby Roger (RJ) » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:25 pm

If it was me, I would only have one set of control panels but make them movable from from front of layout to the rear, possibly using a set of connectors, such as "D" types, to allow connection/reconnection as required.

Having two sets of panels connected in parallel could lead to problems if there are switches which could be set either way on both panels. You could for instance have a section switch set "on" on one panel and "off" on the other.

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:33 pm

Agreed, install mounting points and connectors
You can then swap each board between front and rear as required
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:01 pm

I've seen a "reversible" mimic panel which had a space at the end for the controller. The face of the panel was set at 45degrees and it was reversed by tipping it through 90degrees. So that the back became the base, everything was then in the right place for viewing it from the other side. I've built a couple of micro layouts with points operated by push rods which pass through and come out on the opposite side, which allow front or rear operation. I use a hand held Gaugemaster controller plug into front or rear sockets which have the wires to the track reversed on one of them so that the reversing switch corresponds to the direction on the side you are controlling from. There's no difficulty in having solenoid point motors connected to any number of switches, push buttons or studs, as long as you don't want the switches to identify the way the points are set.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Electrical & Electronics”