Page 1 of 1

Connector i.d please

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:46 am
by Dugie Diesel
Hi all, can anybody tell me what the correct name for the small white connecting plugs are for the headlights in a Bachmann class 66 (the ones in the top of the cab) The reason im asking is i was hoping to find something similar to make a connection between a 0-6-0 and its tender, im hoping to add additional pick-ups but be able to disconnect for servicing etc. Ive tried researching them on eBay etc but all i can find is big stuff. Any other suggestions would be welcome too :)

Re: Connector i.d please

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:36 pm
by Flashbang

Re: Connector i.d please

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:13 pm
by noel

Buying just one small plug could be expensive.

Have you considered making your own with a piece of fine brass tube
and a piece of brass rod that gives a sliding fit.

Slightly crimp the tube to give an tight fit for the rod, and sheath the
tube with styrene tube for insulation.

MEK the two sheaths together. A third dummy pin would allow you to
polarize the connection if you are duplicating the pick-up of the loco itself.


Re: Connector i.d please

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:39 pm
by Bufferstop
Have a look around some computer junk, their are usually an number of miniature connectors on the board of a failed disk drive.

Re: Connector i.d please

Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:00 am
by Martin71
If their are the ones I think you mean the brand name is" Molex" Hornby and Dapol also use them. The come in a 2 pin and up to 9 pin that I have seen in locos so far. I make my own molex plugs, as I have the special crimp which does the pins down to 1.25mm.

So many on ebay but here is the tool. ... 469wt_1139

Hope that helps