Hornby Minitrix Spitfire (brushes)

Post all your model railway electronic problems, solutions and discoverys here.
robb1

Hornby Minitrix Spitfire (brushes)

Postby robb1 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:18 pm

I have a Hornby Minitrix Spitfire Battle of Britain class in generally good condition. It ran but now does not run at all. Other engines run fine on the same track, so it's not a track or power supply problem.

I took it apart, cleaned the pick-ups, cleaned the wheels. If I put the chassis on the track, turn the power on and wiggle the chassis a bit, I get an occasional spark coming from what I believe to be the brushes. Does this mean the brushes are worn and need replacing? Can I get replacement brushes and replace them myself? They look pretty small and fiddly. Or is there a company which will trace the fault and return the loco to running order? I'm in Andover, Hampshire

Any help and advice will be gratefully accepted.
Rob

Flashbang

Re: Hornby Minitrix Spitfire (brushes)

Postby Flashbang » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:31 pm

Hi
Generically you should be able to do either
If you can find a supplier of replacement Minitrix parts then replace them, if you can access the means by which they are held in place. I would also at the same time replace any brush spring too if available and accessible.
These are AFAIK the main importers Mintrix spares

Or try one of the repairers such as The Engine Works in Canterbury Kent ....http://www.theengineworks.co.uk/welcome.htm
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

locoworks

Postby locoworks » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:34 pm

did minitrix do a spitfire?? i can't ever remember that model. but if it shares a similar design to the 9F or britania or A4 then the original motor can swapped out for a mashima 12x20 or 12x24 can motor with little effort. the biggest bind is getting the worm off the minitrix motor and boring it out to fit a mashima shaft. i remotored my A4 and 9F in this way. the worm goes on the brushes end of the can as the motor mount is through the backplate.

robb1

Postby robb1 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:37 pm

My apologies, it's Graham Farish of course. It's just that I've got it in a Hornby Minitrix box

locoworks

Postby locoworks » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:18 pm

ok, you should be able to get it sorted at BR lines, even if it means a new armature and brushes.

Return to “Electronics”