onboard camera

Post all your model railway electronic problems, solutions and discoverys here.
RAILWAY INSTRUCTOR

onboard camera

Postby RAILWAY INSTRUCTOR » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:47 pm

Hi everybody
i am pretty sure that a few years ago there was a submin wireless video camera on the market (advertised in the modelrail press) but cannot find any adverts about it now. My son has this idea that he would like to fit one inside his eurostar/railbus if it is possible so that he can observe things as though he is the cab, does anyone know of this item and if it still available
many thanks

Terrier

Re: onboard camera

Postby Terrier » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:56 pm

Hi, local club have a childs OO thomas tryout layout called Widley St George, by lucky chance, they have a camera fitted into the boiler head of a castle class loco and this plays on a screen when the train is going round (when it works lol) if no one else is able to come up with the answer for you here tonight, i'll contact my ol'mucker Tony from the club who installed it and ask what he used and if it's available etc. :)

RAILWAY INSTRUCTOR

Postby RAILWAY INSTRUCTOR » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:11 pm

Terrier wrote:Hi, local club have a childs OO thomas tryout layout called Widley St George, by lucky chance, they have a camera fitted into the boiler head of a castle class loco and this plays on a screen when the train is going round (when it works lol) if no one else is able to come up with the answer for you here tonight, i'll contact my ol'mucker Tony from the club who installed it and ask what he used and if it's available etc. :)

Many thanks for the quick reply,

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:22 pm

Hi
Would one of these be of use?
Micro spy camera
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

zircon3035

Postby zircon3035 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:20 pm

I use a Veho Muvi. http://www.veho-uk.com/main/index.aspx
It can record 2 hours of video and sound on a 2GB micro-SD card. I bought mine from Scan on a Todayonly offer for about £45. The camera is quite small but there is an even smaller version (Atom?) available. Picture quality is good (VGA resolution) but sound is iffy (sounds like a toy train!) I stand the camera up in a Bachmann scrap wagon and push it round, the camera just looking over the edge. For a lower point of view, you can blu-tack the camera upside-down onto a pallet wagon, then flip the video in Adobe Premiere or what have you.

I will probably post some video in due course.

Ian

peroni

Postby peroni » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:50 pm

I have an onboard camera that transmit back to a receiver, and I find that when the train goes through a tunnel the signal breaks up pretty badly, on the top layer of the layout no problem, works great.

I was looking a another forum and they were showing a Spy Key Chain Camera DVR which is a lot cheaper and much better resolution.

Here is a link to the camera on Ebay: http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0584471375
and if you do a search you will find heaps of them there at all different prices, they are rechargeable and save the video to a memory card.

Here is a link to the video so that you can see the quality:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CuIpsmUR9I

I've ordered a couple myself and think they a rather neat.

traincrazy1

Postby traincrazy1 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:20 am

Is it possible to adapt a standard digital camera with R/C gear to get a remote camera?

I.E. lense - transmitter - reciever - main camera with screen
(\__/)
(o.o) (")
|><| / / This is tiny Bunny mk2. Copy him into you
signature [including this text apparently] and help him in his mission of
world domination.

RAILWAY INSTRUCTOR

Postby RAILWAY INSTRUCTOR » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:20 am

many thanks everybody for your suggestions, I shall more then likely end up fitting a camera to a flat wagon and propelling it around as I feel that even the smallest camera on offer would not fit inside a oo gauge model.

apx068

Postby apx068 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:09 pm

Flashbang wrote:Hi
Would one of these be of use?
Micro spy camera

Hi all,
The little cameras mentioned here are exactly the sort of thing you are looking for. They are small enough to fir inside most OO models and can give you a cab view as the train goes around.

They normally require a 9Volt (dc) supply. This can be from a normal 9V battery or if you are using DCC you can use a function output and have the camera switchable. (Remeber to add a voltage regualator to ensure you have the correct voltage!)

The wireless reciever can be plugged into any cheap TV or you can get a multi input PC card if you've got lots of them...
Enjoy - I did with mine!
Jason

Return to “Electronics”