Soldering

Post all your model railway electronic problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Flashbang

Re: Soldering

Postby Flashbang » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:55 pm

Hulldude15 wrote:Do you have to expose the metal part of the wires or can you keep the plastic on? I bought some off ebay and I'm not sure if I am using them correctly.

Hi
When using Snap lock (splice) type connectors you do not strip any of the the wires insulation at all.
The connector is placed over the unstripped bus wire and the end of the 'take off' wire (The dropper wire) is placed into the blanked off end side of the connector, again the wire is unstripped. Close up the cover and if necessary use a pair of pliers to crush the blade into the the two wires. Clip the cover in place and connection is made.
The connectors blade uses the Insulation Displacement Connector (IDC) principle of cuting through the two wires insualtion and then lightly nicking the copper wires inside, but without cutting through the copper wires.
That is why its so important to ensure you obtain the correct size of connector for the bus wires size.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

noel

Postby noel » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:28 pm

+

Tosh : re- Good job i had cheese & onion then :lol: :lol:

The lettuce and tomato was in inverted commas, and could equally have been
cheese and onion. :idea: :idea:

You can take your poison with whatever you like!

+

Hulldude15

Postby Hulldude15 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:19 pm

Thanks for both the answers regarding the connectors. The reason I ask is because I have unclipped the connectors to see whether the plastic has been broken and I can't see any copper wire just deepish indents. I obviously can strip the wires but it more inconvinient to do so.

Hulldude15

Postby Hulldude15 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:32 pm

Have I done it right

The brown one does double on itself.

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:37 pm

Hi
Looks ok :D
The only thing I would ask is....... Are Red snap lock connectors the correct size for the main bus wire??
Red is the smallest size of connector which is for 0.4mm2 to 1.0mm2 wire size.

Possible suggestion, is to crimp one connector onto a spare cut off piece of bus wire and then remove it. Try bending the wire to 90 degrees in the area of where the connector was located and look carefully to see if you can see the nick in the insulation and then how deep the cut goes into the copper (tinned) wires inside. If its cut deeply into the wires and has caused many of the strands of wire to be cut through, its too small a size of connector. If its solid bus wire, again make sure the blade hasn't deeply cut into the solid copper wire. It should only just nick the wires surface.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Hulldude15

Postby Hulldude15 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:16 pm

Well I bought the connectors on ebay, as its far cheaper than the Rapid site.

Click here.

Return to “Electronics”