Hornby System 90 Compo transformer/controller

Post all your model railway electronic problems, solutions and discoverys here.
bobrob

Hornby System 90 Compo transformer/controller

Postby bobrob » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:13 am

I have recently acquired two Hornby System 90 Compo Transformer/controllers R480 and R481. They do seem to work okay but when the controllers/regulators are engaged- there is a high pitched hum emmiting from the loco/s.

Is this normal- or a fault please?

Bob Rob

Flashbang

Re: Hornby System 90 Compo transformer/controller

Postby Flashbang » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:33 pm

Hi Bob
I suspect these are rather old Hornby units as neither of the two R numbers give results expected - Footbridge and a section of track!!

Any humming heard from a loco when its moving will be from the motor and more normally its that ac voltage is being allowed past the rectifier onto the output and rails. This is very undesirable.

If the humming is while the loco is stationary, then ac is again the most likely cause. It can eventually cause the motor to burn out!

In either case its undesirable and certainly shouldn't be happening. IMO its defective and shouldn't be used.

I would suggest you remove the controller from the layout and trial another known good and working dc controller in its place.

Edit.... Just located a picture on ebay of a System 90 Combo set up. Is it this one? ebay Hornby 90
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

bobrob

Postby bobrob » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:08 pm

Hi,
Thank you. Yes, that is one of the very units I have acquired. Yes, the high pitched noise is when the loco is stationary and not power turned on from the controller. When the controller is powered to the loco for moving -then the loco produces even more sorta high pitched squealing. I have two of these units -acquired this week- and both are producing the same high pitched noise from the loco. The units are of the 1990s and I am presuming that when the units get to a certain age-then they started giving AC problems.

I want to make sure that the units are faulty so that I can claim a refund on them.
Kind regards,
Bobrob

Son-1

Postby Son-1 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:49 pm

It does say it also has 13V AC terminals. Could you have inadvertently of connected to the AC rather than DC?
Stephen T

bobrob

Postby bobrob » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:32 pm

HI Stephen,
Thank you but no . Both units came with Hornby connection diagrams showing A & B connections to the track and C for 13 v. AC. I connected both units using connections A. (at separate times of course- and to just a single length of test track)
Regards,
Bob

bobrob

Postby bobrob » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:12 pm

Hi again,
I have now managed to speak to the Hornby private repair expert who confirms that my System 90 Combo $480/1 units are faulty and that there is no repair. The problem is with the actual handsets. Also stated that the HM 2000 units are very prone to this similar fault and should not be, in effect, be touched with a barge pole !
Guagemasters etc do not do a transformer system that overcomes the commor return so the only answer is either go DCC or continue with isolating / double pole switching.
bobrob

Postby 58001 » Mon May 17, 2010 9:04 pm

I have been using a HM 2000 for 3 years now and some but not all of my locos buzz when running with this controller their motors are still working ok.
Should i ditch the controller?

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Wed May 19, 2010 7:51 pm

58001 wrote:I have been using a HM 2000 for 3 years now and some but not all of my locos buzz when running with this controller their motors are still working ok.

I wouldn't get rid of it. :D
The buzzing youre hearing is when the locos are running which is more like to be from the motors armature laminations or its coils buzzing.
Its the motor buzzing when the loco is stationary that problems occur!
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Postby 58001 » Wed May 19, 2010 9:37 pm

Flashbang wrote:
58001 wrote:I have been using a HM 2000 for 3 years now and some but not all of my locos buzz when running with this controller their motors are still working ok.

I wouldn't get rid of it. :D
The buzzing youre hearing is when the locos are running which is more like to be from the motors armature laminations or its coils buzzing.
Its the motor buzzing when the loco is stationary that problems occur!

Return to “Electronics”