electrocution

Basic electrical and electronics, such as DC/Analog control.
derek taylor

electrocution

Postby derek taylor » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:33 pm

just seen a video of a man electrocuted on top of a train,
if you use google and type in Indian railway electrocution you can also watch it.

poliss

Re: electrocution

Postby poliss » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:37 pm

Why?

glegalee

Postby glegalee » Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:57 pm

Just watched it, that's some high powered lines there! The question is why would someone be videoing it?!
Visit my layout CHOLMONDELEY PARK
ImageImageImage

upnick

Postby upnick » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:03 pm

This video appeared some time ago ..... i personally think it is possible the guy is trying to talk down the man on the train & it was not an accident.

It is NOT recomended viewing for anyone with a weak stomach or children,
''Now if you'll excuse me i'm a busy man have a railroad to build''
''Building America''

ste234

Postby ste234 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:30 pm

If its the one im thinking of, i saw it in September, when i started my electrical course at college. The lecturer was just showing us what happens when a few thousand volts go through you..
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:09 pm

I work with high voltages and it scares the hell out of me, no turning back if you make a mistake. We always check the power is dead, twice! and have the person working with you to check it twice too, even if it is isolated.
Some of the motors I work with, 415volts 3 phase, may not power up unless a sensor is made, so testing in that case may show as safe, this is where isolation is a must have.

We get regular Emails from our boss about deaths world wide, due to Electrocution and in some cases pictures, as little reminders to work safe.
When starting a job these messages and some cases pictures flash though your mind and reminds you to work as safe as you can, if it takes more time to do a job safe, then take that time, that 10mins can safe your life.

That video of that bloke on the train shows you how easily you can forget something is live. He looks to grab it to walk down the coach, like you do on the handrail and not to end his life. He probably didn't intend on ending his life on that train, but did by a split second mistake.

People don't realize the dangers of domestic electric, 230V. You always hear about people getting a shock from it, with no realization of how lucky they actually are!
About 40 people die a year in the UK alone from Electrocution and most from domestic electrics, might not sound a lot across a uk population of 61million, but it is still 40 to many, With that 28000 fires a years caused by suspected electrical fires, so take care when playing about with controllers and power supplies.

Curler Guy
Location: Throwing and sweeping stones out on the ice somewhere in Scotland.

Postby Curler Guy » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:13 pm

Greetings fellow sufferers, have you seen this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3q9WdjD5wc
A bunch of sewerage farm workers from the North West were visiting Blackpool on a day trip when one of them was overcome by the fresh air and fainted.
It took 7 buckets of S**t just to bring them round again!

ste234

Postby ste234 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:04 pm

Haha, this is just coincidence, out lecturer showed us that video aswell :lol:

Curler Guy
Location: Throwing and sweeping stones out on the ice somewhere in Scotland.

Postby Curler Guy » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:43 pm

That's because it's a fantastic clip, even the voice is spot on, never mind the opening and finishing comments!!

Congratulate your lecturer for having great taste!! :lol:
A bunch of sewerage farm workers from the North West were visiting Blackpool on a day trip when one of them was overcome by the fresh air and fainted.
It took 7 buckets of S**t just to bring them round again!

Pug

Postby Pug » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:22 pm

I spent 10 years training engineers in sub-station operations.

We had a sub station all set up with two air cooled transformers, and showed the students how to go through all of the necessary steps before working on the apparatus.

Final step is to remove your gloves and grab an earthy bit of metal in one hand, and the incoming 11 000 volt conductors with the other.

Always a twitchy moment, you felt rectal muscles tightening!

Thing was, although the station voltmeters, ammeters, and lamps, worked as they should, the whole lot was powered by 12 volts - still made you twitch!

Then I left that job, and went back to a job where the incoming really was 11 000 volts.

Retired now.

I think that they go out on the High Tension lines in the UK, don't they?

I know that well over 40 years ago they used to fire a "bolt" of pressurised water, about 6 feet long from a helicopter, to wash the insulators - not sure if that's still done.

John

Martin71

Postby Martin71 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:01 pm

Poor guy,

Some very simple advice

If your not qualified don't touch it, leave it to the professionals!

If you are

Isolate, lock off and tag, test the tester, test before you touch.

Stay safe

m

ste234

Postby ste234 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:13 pm

At a practical lesson in college before xmas, We were using some cable, and i was just terminating my line wire, when my friend who i share the bay with, put his on a live test. This requires the tutor to select the bay on the main DB, come over to the bay, insert a key and a industrial plug. There is an audible and visual notice that it is currently live. I touched my live wire as soon as the tutor inserted the Key and turned it, the buzzing sound made me pap myself. (theres better words). My mates light worked alright though :wink: :lol:

noel

Postby noel » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:44 am

+

In the late 1960's I was working with an electrician rewiring a rank of terraced businesses in Clifton Bristol.
The electrician slipped and shorted a 60amp line behind the front door. He was wearing glasses, and I was
the otherside of the door to block access. The whole shaft of a heavy screwdriver disappeared in the flash.

It taught me an early lesson on electricity!

+

stevebar

Postby stevebar » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:48 am

The question is why would someone be videoing it?!

Probably for one of those "You've been framed" type programmes, where half the clips are obviously staged. Why would someone be filming their mate fixing the gutters on the house unless they knew he's "accidentally" going to fall, land on the trampoline (coincidentally placed under the ladder) and bounce into next door's goldfish pond?

Do you think they tossed a coin to see who'd do the filming and who'd be the star of the show?

upnick

Postby upnick » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:54 pm

stevebar wrote:
The question is why would someone be videoing it?!

Probably for one of those "You've been framed" type programmes, where half the clips are obviously staged. Why would someone be filming their mate fixing the gutters on the house unless they knew he's "accidentally" going to fall, land on the trampoline (coincidentally placed under the ladder) and bounce into next door's goldfish pond?

Do you think they tossed a coin to see who'd do the filming and who'd be the star of the show?

Seems a flippant response to this post stevebar almost lowering the subject to entertainment .......

Has anyone thought to consider the original video in India outlined by the OP may have been a suicide ..... the camara taking pictures of the guy obviously being talked by a mediator /friend a crowd watching from curiosity.

Not the sort of thing you see everyday hence the video if this is the case the person filming probably thought the guy would be talked down.
''Now if you'll excuse me i'm a busy man have a railroad to build''
''Building America''

Return to “Electrical & Electronics”