emu arcing

Post all your model railway electronic problems, solutions and discoverys here.
THE CHIEF

emu arcing

Postby THE CHIEF » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:50 pm

Hi peeps. i desided to have a go at making an electrical arching efect for my emu. Ive done this in n gauge but my system will work in any larger gauges. What i did was mount a 3mm supper bright blue led under the leading boggie with one contact connected to the wheel on one side and the other hanging in the middle with a wire "pad" fitted. then i used a long trackpin and pushed it through the board but standing proud at about rail height. i wired the other end (below the board) to the track feed line to creat a live pin. when the train passes the circute is completed and the bulb lights for a split second creating a mighty flash! place a few "live pins" around the track at the relevent locations and hey prestow, electrical arching.

pic of the bogie... http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj12 ... 8_1811.jpg

vidio of it working on one section... http://s271.photobucket.com/albums/jj12 ... 8_1201.flv

sorry about the quality as its from my now rather dated phone :)

any input welcome...
Last edited by THE CHIEF on Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roger (RJ)

Re: emu arching

Postby Roger (RJ) » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:56 pm

I like that, a lot. Can you get 2 LEDs very close together, triggered one after the other to get a double spark effect?

PS there is no H in arcing

THE CHIEF

Re: emu arching

Postby THE CHIEF » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:00 pm

well im known for my S.P.G in all the wrong ways :D all you need is two pins one after the other. the more pins the more flashes...

mike

davek

Re: emu arcing

Postby davek » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:42 pm

Being a Southern lad born and breed, I think that's fantastic - excellent work!

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:23 pm

I really, really like that video CHIEF - I just watched it about 10 times :)
Very ingenious, and I think you're going to find a lot of EMU fans following your lead, myself included, (maybe you should patent it quick!)
You mentioned in a PM that the contact pad under the train was 'free-roaming' - so that you don't always get a spark at the same spot every time (which gives a more random effect) - could you tell us a bit more about how that works ?

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:55 pm

well the brush has an amount of side play and due to the movement of the train it rocks from side to side so will skip some pins and hit others. some timess it will hit the lot and other times only one. The pins them self are not exactly in the center of the track so you can get a ruff guide of how many it will hit on an average run. Im still tinkering myself so ill give updates as i progress. thanks for you coments. ill get a better quality vid up soon and one in the dark!

glegalee

Postby glegalee » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:13 pm

Loving it!
Visit my layout CHOLMONDELEY PARK
ImageImageImage

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:48 pm

SouthernBoy wrote:I really, really like that video CHIEF - I just watched it about 10 times :)
Very ingenious, and I think you're going to find a lot of EMU fans following your lead, myself included, (maybe you should patent it quick!)
You mentioned in a PM that the contact pad under the train was 'free-roaming' - so that you don't always get a spark at the same spot every time (which gives a more random effect) - could you tell us a bit more about how that works ?

how do you go about getting a patent? perhaps i could ask if dapol could incorparate something like this into the emu there working on? im working on a ready built unit that could just stick onto the bogies. you'd have to fit the track pick ups youself... i was gona make these for me but if it works would anyone be interested then?

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:53 pm

Too late to get a patent. You've given away your secrets. You might be able to claim copyright though

locoworks

Postby locoworks » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:03 pm

nice vid, good thinking.

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:18 pm

damb my good nature! looks like im not a millionaire yet then :lol: well theres always the 5-bel im working on with this sort of gumpf built in mwwwwhahahaha!!!

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:31 pm

Chef's fire in the kitchen ? Exploding table lamp bulb ? No - don't tell us ! Patent it first :D

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:38 pm

maybe lol. off topic i saw a old farish pullman the other day go for about £41 plus postage! someone out there wanted that bad :shock: the cab end are prooving a challenge!

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:23 pm

Hi
Just seen this, i like the idea, i had been thinking of an LED wired to decoder with a sporadic flicker to do the same sort of thing. I think there are merits in both. the idea i had is hampered by the issue of how you stop the flicker when the train has stopped.
thanks for the inspiration though, i may well try this idea at least..
cheers
Michael

BROADTRAIN1979

Postby BROADTRAIN1979 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:35 pm

Hi CHIEF :D
As im doing the north london line, could you, lay out the bits actually needed, to do this arcing :?: as this would be fantastic and bring even more, life to canonbury 3rd rail, or even a tutorial of how it works in detail
Regards Mark :)
Youll never find a 501 like mine.

Return to “Electronics”