Point failure

Basic electrical and electronics, such as DC/Analog control.
dougfoot

Point failure

Post by dougfoot »

Hi all,I'm fairly new (and late) to the hobby and am in the process of building a small shelf layout. It has 6 points (Peco electrofrog) with Seep PM1 motors. One set of points refuses to work, and when connected to the CDU, none of the others work either. Disconnecting this one from the CDU, the other points work OK.
I have replaced the points in question and the point motor and the switch,to no avail. It seems like there is a short somewhere but I have been unable to find it.
Any helpful advice would be much appreciated. Thanks
Flashbang

Re: Point failure

Post by Flashbang »

Hi
First check the wiring.... Return wire must be on Seep terminal C. Operation left and right wires from the switch or lever to A and B terminals.
Visually check there are no solder whiskers or wire stands able to short between two tabs on the Seep
If that all proves correct, remove the problem Seep from the baseboard and let it hang in fresh air then see if the problem is still present. Does it move over and back with the operation switches movement? If not re check wiring throughout and also that the Seep has not failed somehow.

You haven't mentioned what is being used as a switch? Lever, switch or Press button switches or stud and probe?

As there is a CDU in circuit, any switch that remains ON then nothing will work until that switch is OFF. Check the switches that they are correctly wired. No strands or solder blobs shorting across tabs. Each switch is actually opening its contacts once operation is completed - If toggle switch ensure all are (On)-Off-(On) sprung to centre Off type. If levers they must be Momentary passing contact type.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
luckymucklebackit

Post by luckymucklebackit »

Also - if you are using a diode matrix make sure the output from the CDU is the right way round, been there done that!
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge
dougfoot

Post by dougfoot »

Hi again
After much checking the problem turned out to be a faulty connection on the passing contact switch.
Thanks for the advice.
dougfoot