and I thought it was all over???

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
rejrob

and I thought it was all over???

Post by rejrob »

Hi all and hopefully you are all keeping safe and well.<Mod... Text Removed> SO there is a bachmann BR southern class E4 on the layout (73A) but noticed a similarity to the E6 so got a set of markits 18mm insulated wheels and after slightly opening the bachmann brass horn blocks to fit the markits axles the initial part done The nylon gear on the original axle was pulled off its spline and placed, after a minimal enlargement of the bore, onto a markits axle.The contacts onto each wheel was retained bu slightly differently angled for the smaller wheels.The trailing wheel was replaced by a better 16 mm one and result :works beautifully.All this on a further E4 ,2nd hand purchased from rons lines ,good source of stock our ron.The E4 body is similar to the E6 but one or two minor diffs.eg the smokebox support is different so i think a bit of cut and shut will occur.I have a E6 SE finecast kit coming so we will get there soon.Also purchased a DJH L class 4-4-0 and i am afraid the white metal parts are not quite as i expected the standard to be.Quite a bit of filing for the fit to be made but chassis completed, again with markits wheels and axles with a mashima 12/24 fitted(I have a box with a number of mashima motors and gearboxes ready for whenever??? As our son suddenly appeared on the doorstep a week ago for a five week visit(Lovely) i might be able to download, or upload, some picci,s of what I've cobbled together God willing. Anyway that's all for now so after watching highlights of Wasps winning time to go and watch england ladies!!!!!!! play Ireland and then saracens v exeter ,good match All the best to everyone Ron
Mountain

Re: and I thought it was all over???

Post by Mountain »

Seems a lot to keep you busy with. :)
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

Moderators Note.. All posts that were placed relating to Covid or virus infections etc and the subsequent replies have been deleted. The OP opening text has also been amended to remove all references.
Please keep to the topic heading
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

I always enjoy reading about adaption of RTR and/or kits to make something not available from RTR or in kit form. This went by the name 'bashing' in my youth, and back then we would have cried into our beer had we anything like the enormous range of choice now available, as the 'feedstock' for this activity.

My own current favourite is the heavy diecast H-D 8F body, adapted to fit over the current Hornby 8F mechanism. This mechanism is good, but the plastic bodied complete model far too light for realistic traction; but with the old diecast body substituted its right up there with Heljan's O2 2-8-0 and Bach's 9F, which are properly weighted. (Now, how long before an all metal bodied 8F is announced? My past experience is that bashing activity is something of a rain dance; you do the bash, and a RTR equivalent usually appears within five years...)