Archway quoins

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
CandO

Archway quoins

Post by CandO »

How do people scratchbuild archways like the one in the picture below (open or filled in)? Is it just a case of painstakingly cutting each brick/stone and placing it or are there any off the shelf products? Looking for a little inspiration as I have a few archways to produce :D
Thanks in advance!!
quoin query.jpg
End2end

Re: Archway quoins

Post by End2end »

This any good CandO?
https://www.scalecast.co.uk/store/p266/ ... ing.html#/
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
CandO

Post by CandO »

Thanks for the link End2End - not exactly what I'm after for my current build but they may be of use for another future project :D
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

How about Scalescenes RO18 in TX45 or TX46 finish? Download once and print as many time as required! https://scalescenes.com/product/r018-low-relief-arches/
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
CandO

Post by CandO »

Thanks for the reply Flashbang :D

The two replies are great for possible future builds but I'm looking for ideas as to quoins on archways that are totally scratch built and not necessarily standard shaped arches. It may be that I have to cut each stone individually so I'm resigned to doing that - I was thinking of using the Metcalfe pavement for the purpose.

Thoughts welcome :)
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

Hi CandO
what material is your archway scratchbuilt from?
Regards
Rob
stuartp

Post by stuartp »

1st idea (for a styrene wall) - cut the shape of the arch out of styrene sheet, cut the mortar courses between individual stones with either an Olfa cutter (or similar) or a triangular needle file, round off edges and distress stonework to taste. If you need a bit of relief on the faces of the stones either use a bit of filler or styrene shavings dissolved in liquid poly.

2nd idea, for any material - mask off around the shape of the arch, thickness of the tape used will be the depth if the finished arch so you may need more than one layer, or use insulating tape. Fill the bit inside the masking with filler, when the masking is removed the filler remains in relief. This works really well for concrete lintels on brick styrene sheet, not tried it for an arch yet. Cut mortar courses and carve/sand to taste.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/
stuartp

Post by stuartp »

Edit - duplicate post.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/
CandO

Post by CandO »

Ironduke wrote:Hi CandO
what material is your archway scratchbuilt from?
Sorry, I should've said :lol: I'm using card and Metcalfe stone sheets hence the idea of using the flagstones.... :)
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

I think this calls for a photo.

I would probably draw something up in MS Paint or similar and print it.
Regards
Rob