First build

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
Tellinstories

First build

Post by Tellinstories »

Hi, I’m brand new to this but I thought I’d share my first scratch build - my local pub.

I’ve really enjoyed making it but as a lockdown build I had to make it out of whatever was available, which in this case was the wood from a fruit / vegetable crate. Anyone know what this was likely to be? Balsa?

Any other tips for newbies builders?
Attachments
F3019133-368D-4672-9E2C-BE17FDF0F0FA.jpeg
39DCECC5-9024-472A-83A4-A6A8359B8B15.jpeg
76EC9FB2-5B3E-4613-BF7A-EBC056EE6FCB.jpeg
8F6B10C3-C49D-48B2-AD28-41F419283A44.jpeg
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Re: First build

Post by flying scotsman123 »

That's a pretty good first scratch-build, nice one! I should think it was probably pine wood of some description rather than balsa. Good stuff, and welcome to the forum. :)
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
End2end

Post by End2end »

POOL TABLE!
Why didn't I think of that?! :lol:
Great interior and exterior detailing Tellinstories. How did you make the sign and exterior light please?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
Tellinstories

Post by Tellinstories »

End2end wrote:POOL TABLE!
Why didn't I think of that?! :lol:
Great interior and exterior detailing Tellinstories. How did you make the sign and exterior light please?
Thanks
End2end
Thank you! The sign was just a piece of the same wood that i used for the rest of it with bits of wire for the pole and the rings. The exterior light (which doesn’t light up - yet!) was the plastic sheet from an Ikea picture frame, just cut with a Stanley knife and with matchsticks to make a frame inside where the faces meet. Again, held up with wire.
Tellinstories

Post by Tellinstories »

flying scotsman123 wrote:That's a pretty good first scratch-build, nice one! I should think it was probably pine wood of some description rather than balsa. Good stuff, and welcome to the forum. :)
Thank you. Pine makes sense, I want to know as the veg box was a lucky find so I will need to buy off eBay or some such next time. What do other people tend to use? Wood, specific types of card?
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

Tellinstories wrote:
flying scotsman123 wrote:That's a pretty good first scratch-build, nice one! I should think it was probably pine wood of some description rather than balsa. Good stuff, and welcome to the forum. :)
Thank you. Pine makes sense, I want to know as the veg box was a lucky find so I will need to buy off eBay or some such next time. What do other people tend to use? Wood, specific types of card?
Most common materials are card, foamboard (like dahler board) or plastikard. And for cladding either brick (or stone or whatever other equivilant) paper, embossed plastikard, or scribed directly onto the main material. I personally favour plastikard for both the shell and the cladding, but excellent results can be obtained from any of the above, it's just down to what you get on with best.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
End2end

Post by End2end »

I prefer to use material that has its own structural strength.
I use balsa, wood, a few commercially available plastic preformed sheets but mainly plaster poured into LINKA moulds. - viewtopic.php?f=49&t=54149&hilit=linka
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread