Making coupling rods/valvegear

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
Mountain

Re: Making coupling rods/valvegear

Postby Mountain » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:14 pm

captainanorak wrote:That V2 is lovely, is it 0 gauge?

I've decided to leave coupling rods for now and go for Caledonian 123 to get some practise of building chassis without having to worry about lots of complicated walschearts valvegear.

Just need to decide on whether to make the LMS red livery or the Caledonian blue... I have a tender for each of them but only a set of old triang wheels for 1 engine... decisions decisions!

You may find that the decision is sometimes made when you look at the paint and transfers you have... Ok, I have an advantage with my narrow gauge in that some items can be any colour I like (Within reason). But I was building up a nice diesel, and I bought a tin of beautiful metallic light green. However, when I opened up the tin I spent ages and ages mixing it, as it still seemed a little watery, and when I eventually decided to apply it, it was so clear and watery, that it would probably take the thickness of a credit card in paint just to get a nice even colour. I wiped it off and my diesel became B.R. blue, which suits it.

Ex-Pat

Re: Making coupling rods/valvegear

Postby Ex-Pat » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:37 pm

captainanorak wrote:That V2 is lovely, is it 0 gauge?

Thanks for the compliment (you too bigmet) - it's OO gauge - but I've never been totally happy with it and some year will strip it down and make a better job of the handrails etc., do a chimney conversion to the unique version carried by 60813 and turn it out in lined black.

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”