Brick road bridge, Superquick or Metcalfe?

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
GaryB

Brick road bridge, Superquick or Metcalfe?

Postby GaryB » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:31 pm

I need a red brick road bridge to span a double track. I’ve used Metcalfe kits before & they’re okay, but twice the price of Superquick. I am planning to bond the faces to a 3mm plywood structure for added strength and stability but wondered if anyone had experience of either products. The thick card of Metcalfe shows the raw cardboard edge on folds which puts me off a bit.

6F8E62EB-ECE3-4EED-8C08-96B8BDF2483C.jpeg

0E7CE916-A45A-4F9E-8130-4D4C7CA82E27.jpeg
0E7CE916-A45A-4F9E-8130-4D4C7CA82E27.jpeg (32.6 KiB) Viewed 1237 times

TimberSurf

Re: Brick road bridge, Superquick or Metcalfe?

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:17 am

SuperQuick is the same, it has exposed edges. The fix is to colour them with felt tip pens, but if your still not happy, then look at the plastic or resin alternatives. Personally, I prefer to make my own now out of Linka or similar, but the Ratio kits are excellent.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:35 am

If you don't want to go down the plastic or resin options (must admit to being a convert) and you have access to a colour printer then the Scalescenes range is hard to beat https://scalescenes.com/product/r011-arched-bridge/, you download the kit and print it off, it costs £3.99 but the big advantage is that you can reproduce it as many times as you like. You will need suitable card to stick the paper sheets to and these can be bought from a good craft shop or somewhere like the Range (2nd plug for them this morning , think I should be on omission :) )

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:22 am

luckymucklebackit wrote:the Scalescenes range is hard to beat

Totally agree. They are more fiddly than the pre-cut kits, cutting out the window openings for example takes time and patience, but well worth the effort for the finished result. Also, being able to print off as many sheets as you like they are very good for kit-bashing and scratch building.

GaryB

Postby GaryB » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:31 am

Thanks, I hadn't considered Scale Scenes, I'll have a look. I do prefer plastic kits as they have more "depth" and texture, but the only plastic kit I can find is from Peco and is stone rather than brick. Scratch building one would be good but I'm struggling for time (and patience) on that one. Seeing as this bridge will be on it's own on the layout (away from any plastic kits/structures) I'm hoping it won't look "odd".

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:46 am

GaryB wrote:the only plastic kit I can find is from Peco and is stone rather than brick.

Wills SS53
(Wills is part of the Peco empire)

They do retaining walls, arches and plain sheet that all match
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:01 pm

Hornby do a three-arch brick viaduct. It may be possible to adapt one?

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:28 pm

GaryB wrote:Thanks, I hadn't considered Scale Scenes, I'll have a look. I do prefer plastic kits as they have more "depth" and texture, but the only plastic kit I can find is from Peco and is stone rather than brick. Scratch building one would be good but I'm struggling for time (and patience) on that one. Seeing as this bridge will be on it's own on the layout (away from any plastic kits/structures) I'm hoping it won't look "odd".

IMO few railway modellers can effect a paint job on a plastic kit of a structure that comes near a printed artwork variant on a cardboard kit. Where those acquired skills are present, usually from many years airbrushing and detailing military models or dioramas, in any case, doing so is a lot more expensive and time consuming even if owning all the prerequisite tools and materials. Achieving that visual 3D depth perception with any model building viewed from a metre away or more is more dependent on shading and lighting than the tactility which can be felt and seen from on the workbench close up handling.

Metcalfe, Superquick or Scalescenes?
Not a Metcalfe fan. They use porous cardboard, unsealed printed surfaces, exaggerated colour inks, oversimplify wherever they can so they look like what they are. A lazy kit which is an easy quick assembly. Unlike Scalescenes and less so than Superquick, they are totally devoid of any subtlety in shading or shadow. To add to injury, they are overpriced. Kits for the McDonalds 'diner'. But they do fill an increasingly popular demand niche, just like the Quarter Pounder Meal Deal does.

Superquick. My favourite of those two printed kits. Thinner cardboard, better graphics, more resilient printed surface, more detail in the printing, superior colour authenticity, thinner exposed edges not as prominent. Although no more necessary than with Metcalfe, one can dress up either kit with finishing and some attention to detailing studied from existing real life photographs. I generally use a matt finishing spray once detailed to tone down the gloss, seal the added detail and protect the model from the elements of light, heat and damp over time.

Anyone building any cardboard kit should have a set of quality water colour pencils in their inventory for blending in those edges and much else besides. A quality clear sealing finishing spray is also prequisite regardless.

Scalescenes. Generally the least twee, most detailed, and requiring the most skill, work and time of the three frontrunners. The resultant cost is a lot dearer than the face value of their purchase if wanting a result as good or better than Superquick. Some things = true when it comes to probabable multiple builds on any individual layout of the same kit value rationale. i.e. Tunnel faces or retaining walls. Others a pragmatic nonsense. e.g. Church or Terminus.

Along with more care and skill, there's considerable hidden expense in any Scalescenes kit if done to what I regard as the high standard equivalent to the website's presentation graphics. i.e. White framed windows, colour trueness and clarity. Possibly the most suitable of the prominent three brands if intending to attach to ply as a backing. Quality cardboard backing (ordinarily), quality adhesive spray and a quality inkjet or laser printer filled with decent ink quality are all materials or tools required. I wouldn't use original cartridge ink as the printing cost will cruel the exercise of all vut the most basic small structure kit. Having used both laser and inkjet over many years, I've returned to inkjet due operating cost and ease and cost of operating with a CISS vs original or cheap aftermarket often problemsome cartridges or replacing laser toner. As iterated earlier, in building Scalescenes kits, glue, cardboard, ink, printer and paper quality also all matter to me. Others mightn't be so fussy. In the final analysis, the only person you have to please is you.

Scalescenes kits of tunnels bridges and the like frequently include a multi-span instructional option. Bear in mind cutting arch spans for the likes of tunnels overhead bridges can be tricky getting a perfect edge cutting their curve as they are usually a non acentric curve, and cardboard doesn't exactly sand to shape well like balsa or plastic. This isn't an issue with die pre-cut kits like Superquick or Metcalfe any more than it is with moulded plastic.

Lots of choice from super easy and simple but pricier, i.e. Metcalfe, to more complex but equally if not even more expensive and requiring time, materials, tools and skilks, i.e. Plastic or Scalescenes. FMM Superquick lies in the middle of those two extremes, and scrubs up a treat with a modicum of detailing. Superquick are most amenably priced, particularly so in the U.K. Just buy one and try it. Hardly anything lost if it doesn't work for you.

GaryB

Postby GaryB » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:41 pm

Thanks for the detailed reply, really appreciated (as are everyone else’s input). For the sake of £6.75 (price of a couple of pints!) I’ve ordered the Super Quick version and I’ll see how it turns out. Spraying with Matt varnish is a good idea to lose the sheen. I’ll let you all know how it goes.

monty2420

Postby monty2420 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:09 pm

Hi Gary B
I have quite a few building kits from Metcalfe, ok can be a bit fiddly
but once you have built a few they are fine. My layout is
in the garage and all is subject to winter and summer weather.
If you let the kit dry 24hrs then lightly spray with hair lacquer they
will hold the colour and you can still paint customise as required.
I use colour sample paint pots from the Sandtex smooth masonry paint range to colour
fill in the exposed edges stone/brick etc works well.
Monty2420 :D

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”