Superquick kits and replacement windows

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
lenht1951

Superquick kits and replacement windows

Postby lenht1951 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:33 pm

Has anyone tried to cut out the solid windows of low relief Superquick buildings and replace with acetate ones. I'm thinking of constructing a block of the Regency shops and trying it out to break up the conformity of three kits next to each other. :o

Bufferstop

Re: Superquick kits and replacement windows

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:47 pm

I've tried it, but unless you model the interior, and put in lighting it tends to be not much more realistic, dark shadowing behind the reflective glazing is probably the best compromise. I've used Mike's Wordsworth kits, cut out the windows, put in thin glazing then printed the windows again but just slightly larger and stuck them to the back of the glazing. It's always going to be a compromise between how much detail you want to put in and what you will actually notice.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Pete

Re: Superquick kits and replacement windows

Postby Pete » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:53 pm

Cutting out, replacing with acetate and then backing them with tracing paper/drawing film is quite effective, especially if you do put lighting in, it gives a nice diffused light, I tend to do this with all my buildings.

Pete
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”