h0 building kits

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
Michaelaface

h0 building kits

Postby Michaelaface » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:54 pm

anyone on here have any experience with H0 building kits? considering getting some for the background of my layout as there is a much larger range in H0 than 00 and I'm not a fan of card kits

been looking specifically at faller and walthers kits

End2end

Re: h0 building kits

Postby End2end » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:10 pm

Only a pair of small houses - viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44866#p544173
I'm no fan of card either. If there's one thing that spoils a layout for me it's sagging cardboard buildings.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:40 pm

some excellent modelling on there, not sure how I missed your thread, I'm intrigued by that "linka system" what's that like?

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:06 pm

EXCELLENT! Once I found out about washing the moulds first with soapy water my tiles are now coming out at 90% usuable with only the odd one failing or having air bubbles I missed.
Strong, unwarping buildings that are fairly easy to paint and populate if the desire takes you in that direction. :)
I would recommend the Linka / Scalecast medium 100%.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:54 pm

Michaelaface wrote:some excellent modelling on there, not sure how I missed your thread, I'm intrigued by that "linka system" what's that like?

Linka can be quite time consuming and it takes a bit of practice. Although I've never got decent results with the brick or roofing moulds, the stone moulds can produce some very nice structures with a nice texture. Buildings can also be strengthened by painting PVA on the inside. A coaling stage, a castle/folly on the hill and a retaining wall on my layout are all built with it. You can see the results on my BNR layout thread.
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:17 pm

My cousins made me some excellent buildings from Linka when it first came out back in the 1970's. The only downside today is it is more expensive then it should be. I've never bought it due to this as when I wanted it I watched the prices go up and up, and I thought "No"...
Faller are expensive kits but are very nice. Pola and others also do kits. H0 kits blend in nicely. Only some of the styles maybe different.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:01 pm

I got a nice batch of Miniart building kits which are nominally 1:72 but at that scale they seem a bit small.

They go together very well and the smaller ones are fairly location non-specific (though changing the roof tiles helps for the UK)
Not too pricey, especially if used as half-relief.

Have a look here
https://www.kingkit.co.uk/products/model-railway-kits/?page=2

There may be better offers to find.

A workshop being used as a small engine shed:
005.JPG

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:06 pm

GeraldH wrote:Linka can be quite time consuming and it takes a bit of practice.

It was definatly more frustrating without washing the moulds first and leaving them wet when pouring in the plaster.
I bought the plaster from Scalecast (the company that has taken up making the linka type moulds), that has been extensively tested by the owner/seller.
https://www.scalecast.co.uk/

Mountain wrote:when I wanted it I watched the prices go up and up, and I thought "No"...
Faller are expensive kits but are very nice. Pola and others also do kits. H0 kits blend in nicely. Only some of the styles maybe different.

I justified my first purchase of a second hand Linka set (around £40) as, where I could build a kit once, with Linka I could build as many as I wish in the style of my choosing or what moulds I owned.
Now I've increased the different moulds I have I can make almost all the buildings I need beyond the specfic plastic kits I have already bought and made.
I doubt very much that I could create a decent signal box for example but I'm definately getting the station I want, in Linka. :mrgreen:
Even the platforms!

They do take some time to paint though depending on how you want them to look, but this is the artistic part and I do the same with the plastic kits I've built anyway.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:51 am

I am currently incorporating the Walthers Mobile Crane kit in my shunting plank, I don't think that the fact that it is American HO has any impact on the visual appearance of the structure, indeed it is a superb kit and I am very pleased with it. In the past I have used the Faller Cement Factory on a club layout which also did not look out of scale. Lets face it, for non loco/rolling stock features, the scale difference will not have a big impact.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:23 pm

The difference in loading gauge often means that US structures in 3.5mmturn out bigger than UK versions in 4mm.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:44 pm

Bufferstop wrote:The difference in loading gauge often means that US structures in 3.5mmturn out bigger than UK versions in 4mm.

Just watch your head on the doors?

(I have 2 doors in my house lower then my height, and I'm 5ft 10 ½". Pretty old house.)

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:20 pm

I've ordered a big faller townhouse thing to give it a go, even if it doesn't work out I enjoy building kits and it looks like a nice one, there's also a kit of Aldi which I'm considering, would be totally out of place on my layout but I think it'd be amusing

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”