Timbersurf's Competition Entry for 2018.

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
TimberSurf

Timbersurf's Competition Entry for 2018.

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:46 pm

Well I have decided to start a new project (OMG, yes, another one) rather than submit one already halfway through.
The subject will remain secret to start with, as it is very unusual and will be fun for all, to guess what it is!
It has been at the back of my mind for many years, sparked by an article I once read (but now can't find for refreshed inspiration) and will take the form of a kit bash/scratch item. It is probably a bit ambitious, but I want to push my boundaries. I have a plan to make two. The first, I have all the bits for, but the second will require the purchase of two Dapol kits (no clue there, trust me) and a lot of clever modelling that may be beyond me.
We shall see! Nothing ventured, nothing gained, so the first will get completed (worthy of voting), the second may not get completed in time.
I am also away for a few weeks in the middle of the comp, so that might scupper the seconds progress.

The design has started for Project No.1, defined by the household items I can find and some bits from the modelling scrap bin (the one that never gets emptied because it might come in handy one day). Concepts for how to make detailing bits have been investigated. Much research is going on finding suitable pictures of the subject. Clue 1 > this may be my first project ever, not to involve any electrics!

Project No.2, Dapol kits have been ordered, concept and scope is known, but I am struggling to find the other bits to model it with. I have definite idea's as to what it will consist of, but am struggling to find components that are suitable to use that will look 'right'. Clue 2 > this one will not involve any actual electrics, but is an electrical device!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

railwayjim

Re: Timbersurf's Competition Entry for 2018.

Postby railwayjim » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:50 am

We have come to expect the unusual from you TimberSurf,

'Clue 2 > this one will not involve any actual electrics, but is an electrical device!'

I do hope this doesn't involve harnessing lightning, for obvious safety reasons :shock:

Seriously though, my monies on 'clockwork', but I suppose we will have to wait and see.

Looking forward to this one.

Jim.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:03 am

That gives me a great idea!

Lumsdonia Engineering Dept. is always looking for something innovative to build, silver iodide could be the new fuel of the future!

The locomotive has tanks of silver iodide, it sprays it upward, seeding clouds, which cause a thunderstorm, that generates lightning, that aerials on top of the engine collect and is used to drive the locomotives electric motors! :P

Sorry Jim, good try, but lightning has nothing to do with it, nor clockwork.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:20 am

I think I know what you will be building as I was thinking of making one once and it is in my "Future plans for one day" category. I maybe wrong and I dont want to embaress myself so I won't say... If I do and I'm wrong, like me, you'll have more plans and ideas to try and make! :lol:

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:23 pm

Sounds like sticking batteries in inappropriate places to me. :o :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:27 pm

Well all the bits for Project 1 are in hand. Clue 3 > All plastic, but looks like steel

Project 2 is more difficult, but two elements that were eluding me seem to have been found. One, a main component has now been found, its the packaging from an item in my extensive collection of scenery, kits, rolling stock and building materials. It's not one of them, but the packaging something was in! The second element is a highly complex shape, that I wanted (ideally) to find as near the right shape in the first place, alas I was beginning to think I would never find anything close and would have to make a detailed one and cast four duplicates! Fortunately, I kept some items years ago (plastic protractors) that were to be thrown out and realised with some extra shaping that they were essentially the right basic profile, they will still take some mega filing, but I have a method in mind to do all four at the same time! Clue 4 > It is commonly known as a German word, so mine will be called a Gänseflügel

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:32 pm

The comp starts in a couple of days, so thought I would do some experimentation with the bits I have collected to ensure how I envisage making some of the components will actually work!

Project 1
Bits n pieces have been selected and checked to ensure they will match up when all joined together and that the combined mass is the right size overall. Here is a picture clue of one of the parts I will be incorporating!

Project 1 Clue A.jpg
Project 1 Clue A.jpg (37.64 KiB) Viewed 888 times

Project 2
One component is required to be 4 identical elements, a very complex shape, so testing has begun to ensure that all 4 can be made simultaniously

Project 2 Clue A.jpg

How is your guess looking now, Mountain?

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:45 pm

Umm. I'm not quite sure yet. You may be making something else? :D

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:51 pm

Project 2 is causing me headache as expected. The major components are to hand, but some of the detail parts, that will make it look like the prototypical are eluding me. I know two varieties that could be modelled, both being very clear in my mind, but I just can't think of something from the real world that will represent it. I could make them from scratch, but unless I can manufacture tiny precision parts and assemble them with a high degree of uniformity, they will look naff. I have even done a search on thingiverse to see if there is anything relevant but no luck. I might have a go and see if it comes out OK or maybe I should learn 3D drawing and have them made on shapeways?

A couple of more clues

Project 1 Clue B.jpg

Project 2 Clue B.jpg

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:38 pm

I once put together a similar set of bits of plastic filled it with water and compressed air and launched it to about 150 feet above the back garden. It didn't survive the descent. Re-designed it to use a 3ltr coke bottle which was far more successful. :D
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:20 pm

I once bought a two stage water/air rocket for the kids, said on the packet it could reach 300ft! I should have dug it out, it may have been a good base of parts for what I am building! Hum maybe Project 3 is in the offing! lol

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:03 pm

Well here are the next picture clues
Project 1 Clue C.jpg

Project 2 Clue C.jpg

Although given that some of the competitors who are in advance and the fantastic standard they are setting, I think I may as well give up now, before I start.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:52 pm

Jaw drops open ...... followed by a blank stare ......

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:05 pm

Well, it's certainly got me baffled :?

More clues please TimberSurf :)

Jim.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Tue May 01, 2018 6:43 am

Well today's clues will be mostly.......

plastic.......

and just as cryptic!

Project 1 Clue D.jpg
Project 1 Clue D.jpg

Clue 5 > It could be petro chemical

Project 2 Clue D.jpg
Project 2 Clue D.jpg

Clue 6 > I might call this one Megatron or maybe Optimus Prime!

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”