PNP's 2018 Competition Entry - "O-16.5 Bachmann Porter Conversion"

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
PinkNosedPenguin

PNP's 2018 Competition Entry - "O-16.5 Bachmann Porter Conversion"

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:33 pm

This is my starting position post 8)

I have acquired a Bachmann 0-4-0 Porter from the USA - it was only $60 (new) with decoder fitted (although shipping and customs/vat pushed the price up somewhat). It looks very good - though VERY American of course:
ImageIMG_8442 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

I described the improvement in running I got from replacing the factory-fitted decoder elsewhere but this entry is to Anglicise the loco, and to this end I have purchased a 3D printed replacement cab from CWRailways and some parts from Smallbrook Studios. With these and some plasticard, lets see what I can do! Watch this space...

PinkNosedPenguin

Re: PNP's 2018 Competition Entry - "O-16.5 Bachmann Porter Conversion"

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:10 pm

I have started butchering the Porter :D

First I removed the foreign-looking horizontal steps from front and rear buffers. Wow the metal was hard to cut! My poor little cordless Dremel really struggled - must get some better cutting discs for it. Anyway, rear buffer now looks like this:
ImageIMG_8446 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

I also removed the heavy metal saddle tank from the loco (attached by 4 screws) and removed the bell. More hard metal to file down:
ImageIMG_8450 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

I then looked at the parts I had purchased. First the 3D printed cabin from C.W.Railways. Having discussed with the proprietor Tim, it became clear that his cab was longer than mine and intended for the 0-4-2 Porter :?. We agreed the cab looked a bit over-sized for a British locomotive, so Tim was most helpful and offered to shrink the length to my dimensions. The wonders of 3D printing! Here are the parts as supplied - and yes the length fits my loco:
ImageIMG_8448 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

I have also purchased a chimney and smokebox door with dart from Smallbrook Studios:
ImageIMG_8449 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

I am now proceeding to construct the cab . . .

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:51 pm

Right, so if you're currently anywhere in India or further east (which pretty much covers all my fave parts of the world BTW 8)) then its already the 1st May. So I reckon I'm allowed to start my competition entry :D. Unfortunately I'm stuck in an absolutely freezing Blighty, so what better to do than some modelling?

So, I began by constructing the main shell of the cab from the 3D printed kit from CWRailways:
ImageIMG_8451 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

Went together very easily with a nice snug fit. First coat of sprayed primer, a bit of sanding and filling, and then a second coat:
ImageIMG_8456 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

I also primed the saddle tank and just placed both parts on the chassis to see what she looks like:
ImageIMG_8453 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

This view from the front shows what my next step must be = to put something over the diminutive low slung smokebox - work for a future update . . .
ImageIMG_8457 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

As I said in my last post, the cab was reduced in length before printing by Tim at CWRailways - it fits my Porter pretty well, but it does mean, with the rear coal bunker, that the backhead protrudes a very long way into the cab and there is not a lot of room inside for the driver behind it :?. But I knew this conversion would require some compromises and I am hoping this will prove to be an acceptable one . . .

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sat May 05, 2018 9:24 am

I constructed a simple smoke box out of plasticard - it had to be a little larger in diameter than fits the loco due to the size of the door I have (from Smallbrook Studios).
ImageIMG_8459 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

This was my first attempt with a chimney just sitting on top to gauge how it looked:
ImageIMG_8461 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

I decided the smoke box was too tall compared to the saddle tank, so l shaved a bit off the bottom!
ImageIMG_8464 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

But now I thought the chimney (from Smallbrook Mars) was too short! So I tried another taller one from a Smallbrook Echo kit:
ImageIMG_8471 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

And this is how I think I will proceed - a couple more views:
ImageIMG_8472 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8473 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

Atso

Postby Atso » Sat May 05, 2018 10:12 am

Wow! Nice work PNP, the difference in the look of the locomotive now is incredible! 8)
Steve

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Sat May 05, 2018 10:36 am

Agree. Wouldn't look out of place hauling slate somewhere in north Wales.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sat May 05, 2018 11:16 am

Charming little loco, don't forget to paint/detail inside the cab before you glue it all together!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Mon May 07, 2018 7:47 pm

Thanks for comments - the shiny new plasticard has now been primed . . .
ImageIMG_8474 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr
ImageIMG_8475 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

And a more representative look after first coat of black:
ImageIMG_8476 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon May 07, 2018 9:32 pm

I have to say the loco is looking brilliant!
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Atso

Postby Atso » Mon May 07, 2018 11:17 pm

That looks awesome PNP! 8) 8) 8)
Steve

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Thu May 17, 2018 9:54 pm

Thanks for comments 8)

I decided I wanted a bit of red on my (yet to be started!) railway, so chose Revell Carmine Red for this locomotive. Revell acrylic spray paints do not seem to be as good as Humbrol, but Humbrol do not have a large colour range in matt. Anyway, it took 4 coats of the red to achieve decent coverage, followed by a coat of matt varnish:
ImageIMG_8478 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

After removing the masking tape, but before cleaning up and touching up I have this:
ImageIMG_8480 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

I had thought the red would be a bit darker, but never mind. Once its toned down with some weathering powders I'm hoping it'll look the part . . . :D

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Fri May 18, 2018 9:08 am

i donno i think its a really nice shade of red for such a loco.

really enjoying watching the build :D

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Fri May 18, 2018 11:33 am

It looks Pink to me! :o :D

But maybe that's appropriate considering the OP' handle?
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Fri May 18, 2018 8:57 pm

TimberSurf wrote:It looks Pink to me! :o :D

But maybe that's appropriate considering the OP' handle?

Yeah, luckily its a lot more red and a lot less pink in real life :lol:

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun May 20, 2018 8:16 pm

I did some more to my Porter project today, but Oh Dear, suffered a couple of setbacks.

SETBACK #1: First of all, whilst touching up the inside of the cab, I managed to drop the damn thing :evil: and it broke into three pieces :twisted:!!! A couple of choice words were uttered and then I set about repairing with superglue. Its not too bad - the breaks are above the doorways just below the roof so will hopefully be largely hidden by the shadow under the small overhang of the roof. I knew the 3D-printed pieces were weak at those points, but not THAT weak!

Anyway, I continued with the build: painting the window inserts brass and also the top of the chimney the same colour. The window recesses needed a tiny bit of filing to accept the windows, but then they slotted into place nicely. So nice to be able to get a really clean line between brass and red - because they were separate pieces!
ImageIMG_8481 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

A little while ago, despite being so pleased with myself that a Lenz Gold decoder fitted in the same space as the terrible factory-fitted one I was replacing, I then realised that my replacement cab meant that the decoder protruded right across the doorway :o. The new cab is a completely different shape, so of course the old location was not suitable! That decoder was too large to hide elsewhere in the cab, so I purchased a TCS M1 (the same one I used in the tiny Simplex) but with a different-shaped stay alive that I measured could also be hidden in the cab. So I soldered the 4 connections to the M1 and . . .

SETBACK #2: The loco did not run :shock:. Absolutely nothing! More choice words. I double-checked the wiring = correct. I ran another loco on my test track = fine. Hmmm. So I quickly unsoldered the TCS decoder and re-soldered the Lenz one = still nothing. More choice words! I thought "I can't even try the loco on DC as it came DCC-fitted and I don't even still have the original decoder!" Then I was thinking that there was no way I could send the loco back - it was shipped from the USA and has been butchered so much by me since, so that's not an option.

Then I realised that I could try DC connected direct to the motor :idea:. So I unsoldered the decoder, dug out my old DC controller, and connected it to the orange and grey wires to the motor = still absolutely nothing. Thinking the very worst now, as a last resort, I spotted contacts on a little circuit board where those two wires were connected just above the motor. Placing my controller leads on those two contacts = YIPPEE! The motor ran very sweetly!!! A bit more experimentation revealed the grey motor wire on the loco was somehow not connected anymore. Quickly a new wire was connected to the circuit board contact, the TCS decoder reconnected, loco placed on the test track, and = nothing yet again. WHAT? After some frantic checking with the DC controller again, swapping decoders (in case I'd burnt out the TCS somehow), I noticed that the power to my test track had become loose!!! OMG!

So, FINALLY, I have the TCS decoder connected with the stay alive, and the Porter is running up and down my test track nicely! Phew! I decided not to proceed with shortening the decoder and stay alive wires and working out how best to fit in the cab - that can wait until another day. They say accidents come in threes - so I'm definitely counting the track power connection mishap as the third!!!

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”