Dumb scratchbuilding question

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
muggins

Dumb scratchbuilding question

Post by muggins »

I'm currently getting steam up to have a go at this scratchbuilding lark by making a small building using Slaters 00 brick embossed Plastikard over 1.5mm plasticard, with windows from a Ratio kit. I reckon I've grasped all the basics except one - the window and door reveals.

What do I do about the edges of the openings I cut showing (a) the sandwich construction and (b) that the walls are a scale 6" thick when they should be over a foot?
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Re: Dumb scratchbuilding question

Post by flying scotsman123 »

The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask! Some strips of plasticard around the inside of the window to increase the wall thickness around the window openings should help approach the correct thickness for deeply inset windows. If the windows aren't that deeply inset, I usually just paint the edges in a brick colour and not worry about the fact there's no bricks there but for a deep inset small strips of brick plasticard perpendicular to the walls might be worth it.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Study some window openings, the window frame can be, -
-almost flush with the wall surface,
-about half way back in the thickness of the wall,
-(rarely) level with the inner surface,
Put a second thickness of plastic to the same dimensions as the opening. With the edge of a fine file extend the brick courses into the reveal, then glue the window frame to the rear.
If your building is of stone then the sill, lintel and sides will be made from stone cut and shaped to surround the opening.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
muggins

Post by muggins »

Thanks chaps :)