protecting card buildings

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
truckdoctor

protecting card buildings

Postby truckdoctor » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:09 pm

I am new to modelling and but am trying to create some buildings loosely based around the underground architecture of the 60s- 70s period using card and printed paper, on the cheap. Having printed out brick paper and pasted it to my newly constructed card building I find that touching it makes the ink run and destroys the effect. So is there any product to protect it from damp fingers and the ingress of dirt and dust I could use?
Thanks, Steve.

luckymucklebackit

Re: protecting card buildings

Postby luckymucklebackit » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:50 pm

Hi - Welcome to the forum - A light coat of matt varnish before assembly is recommended by the Scalescenes producers, also gives a better texture to the finished building.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:32 pm

I try to avoid waterbased glue when using my own printed brick paper. Even PVA tends to soak through and change the colour. I use a solvent based "craft glue" which I get from the scrap-booking section of a local craft franchise in Aus called "Spotlight". Sorry there are no active ingredients listed on the bottle.
Regards
Rob

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:48 pm

A friend of mine is really into the download and print buildings. He uses card from items which came out the freezer as this card is made specifically to be used in a damp environment.

The old way to protect card from damp was to use shellac.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:59 pm

I researched this and determined the best cost effective stuff was Mod Podge Matte Finish

"Grab your Mod Podge and get stuck in! This is the ultimate crafter’s essential. From scrapbooking to decoupage, this glue offers a versatile adhesive that’s a must-have for a huge variety of crafting projects!

If you’re tired of continuously picking up glue, sealer and finish, have no fear – Mod Podge is all three! This water-based, acrylic glue is a non-toxic adhesive that you and your kids can use happily and safely, with an amazing matte finish.

Apply to a wide variety of surfaces such as card, wood and plastic by using a hogshair brush or just by using a sponge. Once you’ve glued down your mache or papers, simply go over the top with the same glue for an amazing finish!"

I can thoroughly recommend it and use as varnish on everything (inc over weathering powders, as glue for static grass, card varnish, ect, ect)
Its great for gluing printed paper to card or plastic (doesn't wrinkle), dries fast, then I coat outside print with a 50/50 Mod Podge/water
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

truckdoctor

Postby truckdoctor » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:17 pm

Thank you all for your replies, I will try all the methods mentioned and see what happens.Progress so far https://youtu.be/GAlkHZJNv6Q

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”