First Scratch Build - Cornerstones

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
CandO

First Scratch Build - Cornerstones

Post by CandO »

Well I'm just in the process of my first N scale scratch build of a warehouse and I'm at a little bit of a sticky point....not a gluey bit either! :D

Sooooo.....this is the warehouse I'm modelling and as you can see there are cornerstones around the central gateway.
Hargreaves warehouse
Hargreaves warehouse
P1050759b.jpg (103.2 KiB) Viewed 2016 times
I'm making the warehouse as a low relief to go up against the backscene and I'm now into the final stages of the build.
Hargreaves build
Hargreaves build
Archway
Archway
I'm going to add a drainpipe and some wooden gates and some cobbles under the arch. I've also got the jobestones for the windows and doors to do and I'm going to add some ridge tiles and soffit boards under the eaves I think just to tidy up the roof edges :)

However I am a little stumped as to what to use for the cornerstones around the arch. My current idea is to maybe use some Metcalfe N scale flagstones but I was wondering what other peeps do. Any ideas gratefully received, Thanks very much :D
Mountain

Re: First Scratch Build - Cornerstones

Post by Mountain »

Cornerstones. You couldn't use das modelling clay? It would need the current stones filed down a bit and clay added and scribed to form new stones.

Your building does look good. :)
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Find a suitable picture and scale and print, cut out and glue on!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
m.levin

Post by m.levin »

Using the brick sheet you have for the building, cut out a few individual bricks stick on around the arch.
CandO

Post by CandO »

Thanks for the replies peeps!
Mountain wrote:Cornerstones. You couldn't use das modelling clay? It would need the current stones filed down a bit and clay added and scribed to form new stones.

Your building does look good. :)
I'm trying to avoid anything whereby paint is concerned Mountain.....I'm bloody awful with a brush on small things. Now if it was a 15ft x 9ft wall and I had a roller .... :lol:
Thanks for the comment too :D
Timbersurf wrote:Find a suitable picture and scale and print, cut out and glue on!
Ooooh may give that a try....I'll pop out at weekend and see if I can get a full on shot :D
m.levin wrote:Using the brick sheet you have for the building, cut out a few individual bricks stick on around the arch.
The cornerstones are equivalent to two regular stones m.levin so wouldn't really be obvious on this build I think BUT thanks for the tip as it may work on brick effect buildings and suchlike :D
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

It's a shame the bottom of the archway is in shadow in that picture. It's a fair bet that the lower corners of the arch would look like the corners of the building, up to the "springing point" of the arch. Then there would be a particularly solid square block followed by the one long, one short stones of the arch up to a large keystone at the centre point.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
CandO

Post by CandO »

They're quite big all the way to the bottom Bufferstop.....
Capturehargreaves.JPG
As an aside I've been sat waiting for my Metcalfe flagstones to arrive to see if they are suitable. The post came this morning and still no sign so went to check when I'd actually ordered them.....only to then realise I hadn't!! :oops: :oops:

I'm losing it!! :lol: :lol:
CandO

Post by CandO »

Dave wrote:Cracking building 8)
Thanks Dave, as a newbie to all this it's encouraging to hear nice comments :D :D