Inclned Viaduct

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
kingmi53

Inclned Viaduct

Postby kingmi53 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:43 pm

Has anyone scratch built an inclined viaduct? I have a 3% incline rising from zero to 150mm and want to make a viaduct for two tracks so that when I get sufficient height (around 75mm) low level tracks can pass underneath. I'm thinking of constructing the sides in 4mm ply and facing it with plasticard with a brick effect. Dimensions would be the biggest help.

TimberSurf

Re: Inclned Viaduct

Postby TimberSurf » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:17 pm

I made one a long time ago with wood support at top and laminated cardboard (as it was curved) covered in brick paper and recently have make one side from Linka.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44849&start=105#p628451
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44849&start=135#p629193

The trick is to start half way up, i.e. the zero level to say 50mm can just be an embankment, you could then have a bridge, then continue with grass embankment till you need to go under again. The issue is that 3% to 150mm is 2800mm of viaduct! Thats a huge amount of materials to buy and similarly huge amount of work!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

kingmi53

Postby kingmi53 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:09 am

Thanks for the info. I had thought I'd use my polystyrene inclines from zero to about 75-80mm and then a ply bed inside the viaduct arches. To get to the final height from 75mm will mean a total length of about 1200mmm -1800mm. If you can imagine the inclines in 610mm sections, one will be where a bridge will go as there is a lift out section. To make it even more complicated a reverse incline is planned to be alongside. Your idea of the bridge means I could have two or even three bridges along the length to create the access under.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:55 am

Here are some video's that might give some insite
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0up_mKKi-_I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXjv6-0vgUc
The problem is that off the shelf solutions, don't cater for 3% inclines, there are some ramp types available in card, but they are for roads and are too steep. Both card and plastic kits are available for level viaducts, so you could cut each one down by 4mm and create the stepped rise, but this would cost a fortune. The alternative is to use brick paper or plasticard to make your own, but creating the curves for the arch will take some good skill and a lot of time! Best to use grass embankment as much as possible, steel girder bridges and single brick arches as required and plain brick retaining walls as you get near the top.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

kingmi53

Postby kingmi53 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:36 pm

Thanks, the embankments and girder bridges sound a good solution.

b308

Postby b308 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:38 am

You can build a viaduct on an incline, there are lots of examples, you build the incline the same was as you do an embankment, using 6mm ply for the trackbase and wooden blocks to increase the height, then put false arches on the front!

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”