SECR Crimson Lake

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
kiwitram

SECR Crimson Lake

Postby kiwitram » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:34 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm thinking ahead (as per usual) to when I build some SECR coaching stock as to the 'correct' shade of crimson lake. Allegedly, a contemporary railway commentator described the shade towards the end of the 1910s as 'chestnut' due to the weathering and altered mixture of the paint and varnish, which I can live with (I think exact uniformity looks odd on a railway, anyway).

Having looked around online a bit as to the colours available, I'm not entirely convinced of any of them looking 'right'. I did consider Humbrol 'EWS' maroon with a little bit of blue-black in it to make it slightly purple, but I don't know for sure. Also, I'm not sure if I'd rather use a grey or red oxide primer as I don't want it *too* red.

Making this even more complicated is my discovery that several of the SECR Pullman cars ran in lake until the introduction of the 'new standard' Pullman colours in 1928, and so has tempted me to maybe give adapting and repainting a couple of the cars in lake to fit my modelling period (1920-30).

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be very open to hearing them- I've been suggested LNWR and CR coaching colours, but they both look too purple too my eye.

Alexandra
47864[/url]

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Re: SECR Crimson Lake

Postby flying scotsman123 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:09 am

Have you looked at phoenix precision paints? They've probably got the right colour, and their paints are wonderful.
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Atso

Postby Atso » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:14 am

flying scotsman123 wrote:Have you looked at phoenix precision paints? They've probably got the right colour, and their paints are wonderful.

Seconded, they are great paints to work with.
Steve

Richard Lee

Postby Richard Lee » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:42 am

On another forum (RMWeb) it was suggested that the Precision Paints P580 coach lake was a little too blue, and that it could be improved by adding an equal volume of P576 SE&CR Locomotive Indian Red. Other alternatives suggested included Cherry Paints “SECR Purple Lake”, which is believed to be unavailable and no longer produced. There were a couple of other suggestions, which some felt were close enough, although not perfect matches, such as Precision LNWR Carriage Lake P379 (also called Plum) or P434 Caledonian coach Purple.

Of course, it is difficult to be know accurately what precise colour was used on paint work done before 1923. Sunlight, weather and environmental pollution (for instance, from steam locomotives and other coal fires) would affect the shade after painting.

Must admit that I couldn't resist buying a SECR liveried Hornby Terrier, and had been thinking about coaching stock for it. The SECR Terrier was actually used for goods on the Isle of Sheppey with passenger services done by railmotor. Even with a thick slice of modeller's license, I don't see the Terrier pulling Bachmann's 60' Birdcage Stock during the pre-grouping period. Four wheeled coaches seem to me to be better as branch-line stock at that time, although I admit that I could be mistaken on this.

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:06 pm

Might of been looking at one of my posts, yes a number of Phoenix paints are no longer available, I had to mix my own from looking at images, but used one of Phoenix paints which was an alternative. which was P434 Caledonian Coach Purple then added some satin black to dull it down.
Its difficult to match as it does change in the light...

kiwitram

Postby kiwitram » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:26 pm

mattmay05 wrote:Might of been looking at one of my posts, yes a number of Phoenix paints are no longer available, I had to mix my own from looking at images, but used one of Phoenix paints which was an alternative. which was P434 Caledonian Coach Purple then added some satin black to dull it down.
Its difficult to match as it does change in the light...

Yes Matt, I've looked at pretty much all your forums (God you make me jealous, anything I try to build or paint goes terribly wrong!) and I did notice the mention of Caledonian purple. I may well have to give that a go, then, once I've found my feet with kit building or scratch building and whatnot.

Alex
47864[/url]

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:01 am

To be fair Alex, I nearly talked myself out of painting and lining these, especially having to do 2, I just try and do a small amount per night, and not get too tired of it, or if it gets frustrating, stop and try again the next day. It took some experimenting with the colours to get a reasonable match but it is down to the person finishing the model, my paint shade I feel for me is about right, but others will maybe say its too light or too dark... then again who really knows...

Don't be jealous... I'm more trying to help people sometimes it gets taken the wrong way that's why I tend to write for magazines these days. But I am still learning things and skills, and we have to try and pass on the skills to others.

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”