phoenix precision superstrip

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
Michaelaface

phoenix precision superstrip

Postby Michaelaface » Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:44 am

are there any tips anyone can give me in regards to using phoenix precision superstrip?

more specifically these two points

1) what would your preferred vessel be, to strip the paint off models

2) how would go about storing it, as it can be reused, funnel back into original bottle? or seal it in the vessel you used to strip the paint in

first thing that comes to mine is if i got some sort of lunch box type thing that provides an air tight seal then maybe this could work?

GeraldH

Re: phoenix precision superstrip

Postby GeraldH » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:52 pm

Have you had any success with this? Can it remove acrylics?
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:46 pm

Looks like everybody froze !!

The only stripper I used was an oven cleaner and the exercise was a disaster.
The stripper destroyed my filler, weakened the joins and resulted in the whole
aircraft kit being broken back into component parts. My paint was Humbrol
enamels of early 1980's
Generally I'd prefer to sand away any surface defects and paint over what remained.
I do wonder how michaelaface got on though !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:18 pm

I've not used it, I was using some thinners to clean something off the loco I wanted to repaint and it ended up taking all the paint with it, so I just primed over and put the first layer of new paint over it, its looking really good, but its been a while since ive had a suitable space to set up the spray booth

my plan now is to find some sort of bath to place the stock in to strip and then pour the liquid via a funnel back into the bottle

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:26 pm

Looks like it was easier than expected ...... fingers crossed for you !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:17 pm

Is there a time limit as to how long it should be left with the stuff on the plastic body? Do you need to wash the model after in something like soapy water? Would it be safe for other materials like resin without dissolving superglue?

Dave

Postby Dave » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:28 pm

Michaelaface wrote:my plan now is to find some sort of bath to place the stock in to strip and then pour the liquid via a funnel back into the bottle

Have a look at 'Baking trays' I use one that is a bit bigger than the average 00 gauge Diesel loco and about 2" deep. Even Brake fluid hasn't harmed it.

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:25 pm

Mountain wrote:Is there a time limit as to how long it should be left with the stuff on the plastic body? Do you need to wash the model after in something like soapy water? Would it be safe for other materials like resin without dissolving superglue?

I'm not sure of a time limit, my intention, when I finally get round to modelling again, was to test it out on old stock I don't really use, I'll take any successful tests and then attempt to detail and paint them as much as possible to either use or sell, so I guess I'll let you know when I know

I heard of superstrip through one of the everard junction videos though, I think he mentions how long he keeps locos in the stuff for, but its in the middle of a 24 min long video so apologies for not searching for it right now (pretty sure its his re-livery video)
Dave wrote:
Michaelaface wrote:my plan now is to find some sort of bath to place the stock in to strip and then pour the liquid via a funnel back into the bottle

Have a look at 'Baking trays' I use one that is a bit bigger than the average 00 gauge Diesel loco and about 2" deep. Even Brake fluid hasn't harmed it.

good suggestion! which kind though? ceramic, metal, foil, rubber? I'd imagine they'd all work, foil would be the most cost effective if that can work

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:41 pm

I often get modelling sprees myself when tasks are done and sometimes get a "Dreaming" gap where I dream up new ideas, and other times when my concentration goes onto other things...
My modelling days are usually where my room is messy as i get carried away! The dreaming days are when the room is normally clean and the other days are various... :lol:
Thanks for the reply. :) Hope you had a good Christmas.

Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:07 pm

Michaelaface wrote:
Dave wrote:Have a look at 'Baking trays' I use one that is a bit bigger than the average 00 gauge Diesel loco and about 2" deep. Even Brake fluid hasn't harmed it.

good suggestion! which kind though? ceramic, metal, foil, rubber? I'd imagine they'd all work, foil would be the most cost effective if that can work

I have a bog standard metal one, I did spy quite a few foil 'turkey trays' on the run up to Christmas, but not sure if they will still be on the shelves.

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”