Best bet for platform surface?

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
muggins

Best bet for platform surface?

Postby muggins » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:11 pm

I need to build a platform which has a gentle curve (getting on for 6ft rad) on the front side. The back will be straight, and the whole shebang will be around 3ft long.

Core construction isn't a problem (ply/MDF), nor is the front face (embossed Plasticard brick). Strips of thick styrene sheet suitably scribed should take care of the edging stones (or whatever the technical term is for the "lip"). But what's my best bet for a platform surface?

We are talking post-WW2 branch line here, and I rather fancy York stone paving. However, I don't fancy trying to scribe in into DAS, and I don't like the printed paper/card stuff. Wills do a nice York stone slabs but it's too expensive, and Slaters only seem to do a Grey Paving which though affordable is somewhat lacking in character.

Is there an alternative?

Bufferstop

Re: Best bet for platform surface?

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:43 pm

Have your slabs, but only the bit in front of the station building, leaving the rest in gravel. A suitable colour and grade of abrasive paper or fine sand spread over a sand coloured paint.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:27 am

I have used wood for straights and created curves in cardboard, plasticard front and topped with card covered with my own design (not sure its prototypical) and printed paper. Front edge is York stone, main surface is paving.
Platform view 3.jpg
Platform view 3.jpg (45.08 KiB) Viewed 248 times

As mentioned, wet n dry could be used for ash-felt and plasticard for the York stone edging.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

muggins

Postby muggins » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:36 am

Thanks, but as I said I don't like printed paper/card. It's the lack of texture. To me, it always looks like what it is.

I've only ever seen a couple of examples of sandpaper platforms and they were hardly convincing in the flesh, so to speak, but the idea of just using paving outside the building and something else for the rest of it hadn't occurred. I guess it's time to experiment with texturing Polyfilla or maybe see if I can find out anything about the textured paints that are apparently available?

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:50 am

Hi - I have used fine emery paper in the past and it worked well, however I used another method recently to create texture on a building that probably would work well on a platform surface. Coat the ply/card with a well spread amount of PVA, then sprinkle a liberal amount of fine beach sand (mine comes from the beach at Troon) and allow to dry. Give it a brush to remove any grains that are partially stuck and Hoover up the excess sand. Spray with a suitable brown or grey.

My example here https://www.flickr.com/photos/gateside_and_northbridge/26960051556/in/album-72157638910650154/

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

muggins

Postby muggins » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:50 am

Hmmmm. Thank you. That's got me thinking ...

michaelasc

Postby michaelasc » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:12 am

Any ideas for N gauge?
This is not my circus and these are not my monkeys!

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”