Unusual ordering

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
OtleySteamer

Unusual ordering

Postby OtleySteamer » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:01 am

Yesterday I ordered a Signal Box interior kit from A Model Railway Card Kit Shop (I've a Metcalfe signal box that I thought would be enhanced by the interior kit). During the order process there was a box to tick ''I waive my right to cancel Model Kit(s)' which I thought was a bit odd and I ignored it.
When I got the confirmation email saying my order had been taken I got this:
"If you selected on your order 'I waive my right to cancel Model Kit(s)' we shall email the model kit(s) within 24 hours of your payment (not including weekends and UK public holidays). If you did NOT select 'I waive my right to cancel Model Kit(s)' we shall seek clarification from you and If you retain your rights we shall supply the model kit soon after the 14th day from the date of your payment."

I'd not thought of cancelling the order but now I'm not sure. I've not encountered anything like this before. Can anyone explain the need for it or what I should do?

Thanks

alex3410

Re: Unusual ordering

Postby alex3410 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:24 am

:roll: Apple are doing something similar

i assume this is a download that you print yourself?

if so i think there is a new law which means you are entitled to get a refund for digital purchases within a certain timeframe - assuming this is 14 days, the shop is trying to stop people from ordering - getting the PDF - and then requesting a refund.

Apples message is similar you are essentially opting out of this protection and getting the item right away without the option for a refund.

Don't get me wrong i can see why its causing issues for shops (this is a perfect example) but the amount of really iffy digital goods doing the rounds these days i can also see why the laws in place to try and give consumers some come back.

Edit:
In this case the seller should explain the situation better to consumers to avoid confusion

OtleySteamer

Postby OtleySteamer » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:40 am

Yes it is a download that you print yourself.

I queried the seller and they have just explained the situation - so I'm happy to go ahead with the order.
It does seem a strange and impractical way of doing things - who would want to wait 14 days?
Hopefully this situation will not last long.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:42 am

The idea is you agree to lose the right of return and then you should get it as quickly as you would otherwise

its irritating on the iPhone with apple because it pops up every time you try to download an app :roll:

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:05 pm

What a liberty! I'd take my money elsewhere.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:31 pm

When paying for digital downloads there has to be some safeguard for the seller as well as the purchaser. The current laws were written for online ordering and real world delivery, so they put anyone selling downloads in a difficult situation, they can either pay for a private unique key service, or ask the recipient to waive the automatic right to further downloads.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”