Building a Dundas park side PC34 van

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
Chelle

Building a Dundas park side PC34 van

Postby Chelle » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:59 pm

Ok so I thought it was going to be easy, but there are lots of small bits and I am not entirely sure which small bits are what ...... doh. This is the first van, first thing with wheels...

TimberSurf

Re: Building a Dundas park side PC34 van

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:10 pm

Show us some pictures and the experts can give you some pointers!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:18 pm

This is the Southern Railway Utility Van. Parkside Dundas kits are fairly straightforward but there are often many parts, some small as you say. Take your time and follow the instructions step-by-step. If you are not used to this sort of kit building, treat the instructions as a flow chart and do not proceed to the next step until you have completed the last. Make sure that you remove the parts from their sprues carefully and clean off any flash or sprue attachment before trying to assemble the parts. An emery board makes an excellent file but a scalpel or craft knife is best for removing parts from their sprues. For assembly, a liquid adhesive like Plastic Magic [there are others] is far better than tubes of horrible polystyrene cement.

Just take your time and do not rush at it.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Pennine MC

Postby Pennine MC » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:44 am

Lysander wrote:... Take your time and follow the instructions step-by-step. If you are not used to this sort of kit building, treat the instructions as a flow chart and do not proceed to the next step until you have completed the last. ...Just take your time and do not rush at it.

Not really sure anybody can add anything to the above; pictures or not, expert or not. Or start with a smaller van with simpler brakegear.

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:25 pm

'...Or start with a smaller van with simpler brakegear...'.

Possibly better advice. Say something like a Ratio box van. 15 or 16 parts, the smallest 4 of which are buffers. An easy build.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

6C

Postby 6C » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:15 pm

The Parkside kits fit together well - but I agree they can seem fiddly and not as intuitive as say the cruder Dapol kits, which can go together rapidly.

Advice is good though - take your time.
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!

Chelle

Postby Chelle » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:49 pm

Thank you for all the useful tips, I hadn't thought of using fixed abrasive papers, I Borrowed some from my day job. I think I might well go and look for a ratio van at the weekend, there is a show near here on Saturday. Or a dapol one, I have made a couple of easy sheds and huts with no problem. Any recommendations for an easy carriage to build?

Pennine MC

Postby Pennine MC » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:34 pm

Chelle wrote:. Any recommendations for an easy carriage to build?

TBH you may as well stick to Parkside, just get a simple goods van or open. Any of the LNER vans, the BR vans PC07A or PC08A or the open wagons PC01A and PC02A are from more recent tooling and well engineered.

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:07 pm

Hi Chelle,

Ratio kits are very easy to make the only thing to be wary of is cutting out the side frames as the stretcher bar (links the axleboxes together) is very easy to break. If you want simple coaches their GWR four wheelers are easy.

Another kit maker to look at is Cambrian (you'll need wheels, bearings and couplings for their kits) but they are a little on the fiddly side especially the buffers. They cater for all regions as well as Private Owner and some pre grouping stock.

Website;

http://www.cambrianmodels.co.uk/wagon_kits_4mm.html

You can also order from here who also do Parkside kits plus wheels and bearings;

http://www.hamodels.net/

A satisfied customer!

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”