2017 competition - LNWR Prince Of Wales GEM kit

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

2017 competition - LNWR Prince Of Wales GEM kit

Postby flying scotsman123 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:00 pm

Got this out of its box at the weekend to have a look at it and realised I might as well enter the competition with it! For those who aren't familiar, GEM kits are very old whitemetal kits originally designed to fit over tri-ang chassis, or their own kit ones. Neither particularly appealed but happily Hornby's china-made B12 from I think the '90s (?) fits perfectly well so one of those has been sourced.

Anyway, I decided that at least for the big components I could probably get away with soldering them together. I'm not flash enough to have a snazzy temperature adjustable iron and I quite fancied getting started on Saturday so no low-melt solder either. It went surprisingly well! Here's where I'm at:

The boiler and smokebox assembly has not been attached to the frames and splashers yet, as soldering the big bits together was the easy bit! Being an old kit, there's an awful lot of filling and sanding to do. The frame assembly and the boiler assembly have now had a second round of filler applied and once that's all sanded down I think it'll probably be time to put some paint on to see where else needs work. Sanding the boiler is much easier when it's still a cylinder hence it's only resting in place at the moment.

Oh and for those few who remember what I'm (trying) to model - NSR Stone station saw LNWR through trains to Euston for much of its life so that's why. Depending on how quick progress is I might dig out a ratio LNWR coach to go with it too.
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Lysander

Re: 2017 competition - LNWR Prince Of Wales GEM kit

Postby Lysander » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:36 pm

I'll watch this with interest. I have a GEM kit to complete later this year, an LNWR 'Cauliflower'.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:45 pm

Gosh! I haven't seen a GEM kit in years. Go for it fs123. :D

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Atso

Postby Atso » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:38 pm

While an LNER person myself, I do admit to having a soft spot for locomotives such as the Prince of Wales class, the Claughtons being another.

Any more progress with your build?
Steve

flying scotsman123

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:24 pm

Thanks Atso, as I'm sure anyone who's experienced these kits will understand, I've been fiddling around with filler on this for some time now! However, I gave it what I hope to be a reasonably final first top coat today, so hopefully some pictures tomorrow. :)

flying scotsman123

Postby flying scotsman123 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:28 pm

Here's where I'm at after a quick trip to the paint shop. A few areas still need a light rub down but hopefully next coat will be more or less final. I'll leave doing that until I'm closer to the end to prevent too much damage. Tender is in a similar condition.

It's sitting on a China b12 chassis which only needed some of the front metal tab beyond the bogie mount sawing off to fit. I haven't test run it yet but I suspect I may need to do a little filing for coupling rod clearance at its extremities.

I can probably start faffing around putting all the rest of the little bits on now, footsteps, safety valves, handraisl etc. Whilst the bigger parts I'vesoldered together I think I've pushed my luck far enough with a normal iron and solder, so I'm switching to a metal epoxy glue for the finer bits.

Tender wheels are annoying, a scale 3'9" ultra do them at an almost £5 per axle! Anyone got any suggestions for cheaper sources? Once I've got the wheels I can solder the other side of the frames on, and only then can I finish painting and start lining out!

Atso

Postby Atso » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:49 pm

Looking good there. It'll look even better once you've finished the painting!

£5 for a wheelset does sound a bit on the excessive side. That being said they are Ultrascale so will be to dogs wotsits! Have a look to see if any Hornby locomotives use 3'9 wheels. I know that Petersspares stocks a lot of Hornby parts... Some wheels off the Cartazzi truck of an LNER pacific would scale out at 3'8, would that be close enough?
Steve

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:33 pm

Yes I remember when I needed some front pony truck wheels for the U-Class as no-one did them at the time, Could always try Alan Gibson, good service, got quite a few sizes, specs ect... bit more affordable.

flying scotsman123

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:44 pm

I seem to have spent most of my weekend lining out! Yesterday it was Mk1s at Winchcombe, this afternoon I've been sat at the computer designing some custom lining for another loco, and this evening I got around to the project in hand armed with some HMRS transfers applied in the usual way. Boiler bands were done using a dull Indian red type colour which looks much better than a bright red using a bowpen. I'm rubbish with them for panel lining but can just about cope with the help of raised boiler bands!

Next job is to give it a varnish, and dull the smoke box and cab roof. Then just a few more details to fit on like handrails and I should be there! I'm sure I'll drag it out though, knowing me...

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:52 pm

Looking good made a nice job of that. Great job

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:18 pm

sorry wrong post reply :roll:
Last edited by mattmay05 on Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flying scotsman123

Postby flying scotsman123 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:24 pm

Hi Matt, thanks for the comment - your build is looking impressive, although I flagged it up to the mods as I suspect you meant to post elsewhere! :lol:

flying scotsman123

Postby flying scotsman123 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:44 pm

Right, an "end point" post! As ever, I get distracted with other projects, but the loco is virtually finished save varnishing and matting of the smokebox, and I also managed most of a ratio coach to match, the livery took absolutely ages to paint but other than that has gone together well so far.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:46 pm

They look really really good, wish my attempts at a white metal kit would go half as well :lol:

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:17 am

Very nicely done has turned out very well, and the coach.

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”