2017 competition

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
Lysander

Re: 2017 competition

Post by Lysander »

The roof is now finished with new ribbing, grab-rails and destination-board holders fitted in their correct positions.

Attaching the ribs was difficult and I had to resort to superglue to keep the ends in place, the problem being the sharp increase in the radius at those points and the very short length of plastic rod to be glued down at those points. Hopefully they will stay in place.

It always looks a bit messy at this stage: some primer, followed by matt black, will work wonders. It's worth comparing the 'before and after' to show that the insane amount of work involved was worth it.

There is so much more to do, too....

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
nickbrad

Post by nickbrad »

Looking great so far, keep up the excellent work
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

I'm unable to start painting the brass overlays as yet as I must get the correct shade of cream made up for me. There is plenty of detail work to attend to elsewhere however and I have made a start on the corridor gangways. I am keeping the original Hornby units but the moulded handrails and the awful gangway have had to go. Shaving off the handrails was easy enough but the gangways took more effort and care had to be taken not to damage the steps, which have to be retained.

The photos show a 'before and after', with the new gangway installed. Suspension units for the gangway will be folded up out of wire and new handrails formed in due course. Inevitably, because there was very little room to manoeuvre around the steps, some gouges occurred when removing the moulded gangways. These will be lost under matt black paint.

Incidentally, the replacement gangways are spare Dapol Centenary units. I had a bag full once and very useful they've been too. They are probably unobtainable [at a sensible price] now. When purchased, they were 10p each.

Tony
Atso

Post by Atso »

I've just finished reading this thread, good work Tony. I'm always interested in coach conversions (I've got some to do in N gauge one day!), your work on the roof is particularly impressive. 8)
Steve
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Thanks Atso

The trick here - learnt over many years - is patience and the right tools. With both you can achieve almost anything ! Happily, this competition runs to the end of February and so there is no rush for me to finish quickly. That's important for me at least as I do not model every day in any case and generally need some time off after particularly fiddley or time-consuming tasks [like the roof, for eg]. Painting and lining out will be a ball-breaker too and will require time off after, as will cutting the glazing.

I was looking at the thing last night and realised that the coach ends required emergency brake gear, so that will have to be fabricated. Sourcing robust materials for the gangway suspension units will need thinking about, too. All takes time, and this far from the end of February, I've lots of it ! I'll probably even return to another coach in the meantime !

Tony
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

The coach ends with their attached gangways have now been glued into position on the carcass. These are never a particularly tight fit on old Hornby coaches however and their size and profile never matches that of the coach body 100%. Consequently [and because of the way in which they are attached normally], the ends can move around very slightly and gaps between them and the coach roof in particular are always evident.

This is unacceptable really and the only solution is to glue the ends into place and then fill the gaps with Milliput. When cured, the filler can be very carefully sanded smooth and, if the job is done properly, the gaps will disappear completely.

The next photo shows a comparison between the finished job and a typical unmodifed Hornby railroad-type coach. From that, you can see why time spent filling and sanding is essential.

The mark on the left hand side of the primed end is pencil, not a crack !

Tony
Atso

Post by Atso »

Wow, the difference to the coach end is remarkable and well worth the effort IMHO.

Great stuff
Steve
nickbrad

Post by nickbrad »

I agree, well worth the effort when you compare the two.
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Fiddley work at present, all about detail, so progress inevitably slow. Emergency brake rigging now fitted and better buffers installed. A nice white metal coupling hook too, from Lanarkshire Modelling Supplies. Tonight I must try at least to fabricate some suspension brackets for the gangways. Will be a tricky one that, but worth the effort if it succeeds. Left hand buffer will be re-sited in due course. Blown-up digital photos are quite helpful at spotting things like that.

Tony
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Awesome detail! How on earth do you paint those silver pipes?
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Poor lighting for the photo Timbersurf ! The pipes are 'raw' brass at this stage and will be matt black in due course. But thanks for the comment - appreciated.

The modifications to the body shell are now complete. A trip to last Sunday's Bristol O gauge show allowed me to source some incredibly fine brass channel which was ideal for the brackets to hold the gangway suspenders [brass and steel wire]. These units are not 100% accurate but even at less than three feet they more than pass muster and as the effect required is that of an acceptable layout coach, I am perfectly happy with the outcome.

Fitting the channel was a problem though: it's impossible to drill square holes ! Consequently, before priming, a little filler will be forced into the gaps to close them up completely [an easy job].

The handrails were bent up out of fine brass wire. It's far easier than it looks although care must be taken to ensure a good degree of symmetry. So, constant tweaking is the order of the day. These will be removed after the ends have been re-primed and put aside to be the last items to be fitted [to avoid damage].

The errant buffer has been adjusted also.

I have finally sourced an acceptable shade of cream paint too, so painting the sides will commence soon. But I'm in no great rush, after all, it's a hobby, not a race [and a white-metal K's goods kit has just arrived in the post and is bound to distract me].....

It's a shame in a way that all of this is going to be hidden under black paint !

Tony
Atso

Post by Atso »

Wow, that end detail is incredible! You could always highlight this a little be picking it out in a very dark grey or gunmetal paint instead - subtle but effective if what those military modellers do is anything to go by.
Steve
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

That, and some very light and subtle rusting Steve, should be effective. thanks.

Tony
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

Tony,
as Steve has said - WOW!!!!!!!!
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Can I add my second wow and a communal third wow!
lol @ not painted! :D
Is that a spring I see?
Brass channel? Holy cow!
Sod the black paint, leave it as "Gold leaf" :o
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!