2017 competition

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
Lysander

2017 competition

Postby Lysander » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:50 pm

A degree of optimism at work here as I may well run out of time: I simply have to much on the go. However, I am planning to build a GWR Dia. K38 Ocean Mails full brake by adapting a Hornby Railroad [so-called] Collett Bk 3rd to take Comet etched brass sides and include various other improvements along the way. The livery will be for the final GWR period and, when complete, the vehicle will run with a rake of Hornby Hawksworth coaches and other Comet-adapted stock.

This is an Exley O gauge example of the coach I will be working on:

and this is the coach that I am starting with [it has already been dismantled]:

This next shot shows what will immediately require removal before any other work commences - the awful Hornby ventilator mouldings and the water tank:

The ventilators were easy enough to cut away and will not, in this case require replacing. The water tank was another matter altogether though, not least because it formed part of the roof ribbing at that end. It was eventually cut away in slices by using a razor saw placed flat on the top of the coach and gently sawing along the length of the roof. Some wet and dry helped finish it off after a flash of primer indicated any ridges or gouges.

The three destination board brackets on each side of the coach will need cutting away also. The roof ribs will be left as they are; they are not accurate for the planned coach and should be replaced, but achieving a consistently neat, even finish may just be a bridge too far. At the time of writing, the solid roof handrail mouldings have also been removed. They will be replaced correctly, with wire, in another position.

More to follow.....

Tony
Last edited by Lysander on Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Lysander

Re: 2017 competition

Postby Lysander » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:20 pm

For those who are unacquainted with Comet etched sides, this is what they are all about:

In this case, the drop lights are already part of the etch and so do not require attaching. The tumble-home has also been neatly pre-rolled and it fits the donor coach sides beautifully. All that will be required to prepare the sides for attachment is cleaning up the small etch tabs with a file [you might just be able to see them on one of the etches, the other has been dealt with] and preparing the donor coach for the attachment. This latter task is done by marking out where the windows on the etch will fall and then cutting away the plastic from the body which will lie immediately behind. Always remove sufficient plastic to allow for perspex window inserts to be glued in from behind, this will ensure neat flush glazing and is the reason why the holes in the sides look so large. See below.

The photo above shows the body in an incomplete state: a few more window holes need to be cut away from this side and the other side hacked as well. It gives an idea of what has to be done however.

The last time I used Comet etches, I attached them and then painted them in situ. This time, to make the task of masking up far, far easier, I plan to paint and line them before attachment.

Tony

VerdevaleRailway

Postby VerdevaleRailway » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:28 pm

Wow, that water tank removal is incredibly well done!
'whose origin was a terminus'

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:39 pm

Thanks for that ! It was a bit of a breath-taker but, in the end, surprisingly easy. I think constant priming and sanding helped to tidy it up. If I could achieve the same result - with certainty - on the roof ribs I'd remove them too. There is a real risk of damaging the roof profile though so I'll leave well alone.

Tony

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:46 pm

i will be honest i just assumed it was the other end of the coach! :shock: brilliant work

following with interest

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:09 pm

Having becoming increasingly dissatisfied with the incorrect roof ribbing, the inevitable happened. On the basis that nothing ventured, I threw caution to the winds and with a new blade, started to slice away. It took 20 minutes to remove this one - and there are 7 more to go - so it'll not be a rush job. It looks as though it just might be possible however.

You can just faintly make out the outline of the removed rib above the centre line of the doors, mostly because the plastic now has a different texture. A little more sanding and it'll be gone, and then just seven more to do !

.Image

Tony

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:14 pm

I love these sort of projects. Knowledge is a wonderful thing and I aim to learn a lot from this build. I'd really like to be able tackle something like this one day.

Paul

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:37 pm

I'll give it a miss as I'm not really into coaches,
but I'll enjoy watching. Done quite well as no
blood ... yet ??

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:01 am

No blood yet Geoff ! Although, seriously, the best recipe for blood is a blunt blade: they snag and slip and don't cut evenly. I've used a new blade for each side and one for the roof also.

Now, all of the ribs have been removed, the roof carefully sanded to remove any residual ridges and then given a flash of primer. I'm really pleased with the result, it's really flat and I only wish that I'd done this when I was building my Dining Car. Not a quick job by any means, but nowhere near as difficult as I had anticipated.

The ribs will be reinstated in their correct position [and number, 5 instead of 8] later. Checking the drawings I also noticed that they are not symmetrical, their spacings differ. Micro-strip will be used to simulate them

It's interesting to compare the photo with the one at the outset.

Tony

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:22 am

You should be pleased with it, i would never guess looking at the result that the roof ever had anything on it.

Boïschaut

Postby Boïschaut » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:19 am

What is the first prize for the 2017 competition ?

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:05 pm

I think simply the cachet of winning. It's not terribly serious.

Tony

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:08 pm

Boïschaut wrote:What is the first prize for the 2017 competition ?

No actual prize, more info on the competition here, but in the end we are all winners getting to follow interesting projects like this :wink:

Boïschaut

Postby Boïschaut » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:51 pm

Don't worry, it was just a joke ! :oops: :lol:

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:29 pm

:lol:

it is going to be hard to chose who to vote for! so many fascinating projects

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”