Formerly Competition Entry Jan 2017. Etched N gauge and LNER kits

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
Atso

Re: Competition Entry Jan 2017. Etched N gauge and LNER kits

Postby Atso » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:02 pm

Atso wrote:
nickbrad wrote:I keep looking at the pictures, being impressed at the work so far, then I remind myself how small they are and I'm even more impressed.

Thank you. For reference the wagons are around 44m long over the buffers.

Having soldered the buffers and coupling hooks onto the last two wagons, I had a moment of insanity today. It suddenly occurred to me that all the vans are vacuum braked types and, since the etch provided coupling hooks, I really should add some vacuum brake pipes as well. To complicate things further, the pipe has two bends in it so that it ends up more or less central on the body at the point where the flexible hose attaches.

Out with some thin wound guitar wire and I removed about 10 mm of winding before setting about bending everything to shape. Final trimming to size, a tiny amount of solder paste and a lot of flux and I managed to attach these to the bodies of two vans without unsoldering anything else!

Two down seven to go!

Edit: I also added the grab rails onto the doors of the vans.
Steve

Atso

Postby Atso » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:36 am

A quick update but no photos at the moment.

I've just finished putting vacuum pipes onto the last van - only one of the brake vans to do now! I need to correct my previous post as there are only seven wagons in total that require vacuum pipes.

Two of the wagons (of the ones built on Monday before I decided to get some more as my competition piece) had been substantially completed and primed. Therefore I needed to strip the paint back around the areas that I needed to solder before attaching all the various detailing bits. These two wagons had also had their roofs araldited on (soldering the roofs has proven impossible) but I'm not happy with how these turned out. Therefore my mission over the next couple of days is to break the glue joint without wrecking either wagon! :oops: :roll:
Steve

Atso

Postby Atso » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:28 pm

Well I'm still waiting to see if my soaking the two vans with badly glued roofs in paint stripper will result in the araldite bond weakening enough to separate the parts and have a second go. However, I have managed to successfully get the roofs onto the other four vans (one was even soldered but a lot of faffing about to achieve that!).

Below is a picture of the progress on the four vans. The three fruit vans each have a different chassis to create a little variety and represent three incarnations of this design over the years. The chassis are various Peco products representing wooden and steel solebars and 9' and 10' wheelbases.

Once I've managed to get the original two vans to the state pictured above, I'll make a start on the third of my GNR brake vans.
Steve

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:52 am

Hopefully it will work, thankfully I've not had to break an araldite join so far.

Looking at those wagons, I can help but think how good a J70 would look at the front of them ;)

Atso

Postby Atso » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:17 am

nickbrad wrote:Hopefully it will work, thankfully I've not had to break an araldite join so far.

Looking at those wagons, I can help but think how good a J70 would look at the front of them ;)

Thank you, it did! The two offending roofs have been successfully removed and reattached.

Unfortunately the J70s are a bit too far away geographically for me; best you'll get is for a GER loco is a J69 shunting them around (they ended up everywhere!). More than likely these will end up as part of an express perishables rake (with the exception of the fish vans which will form another separate rake) which will will be J6, J39 or K3 hauled.
Last edited by Atso on Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

Atso

Postby Atso » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:32 pm

A bit of progress with the vans. Roofs are attached to all the vans with the exception of the brake van. This is because I needed to get into the veranda areas using a rattle can of etch primer from Halfords - I couldn't see any way of doing this with the roof on. Not in picture is the second brake van which is still in it's raw brass state; the build of the third brake van will be covered in due course.

But wait! There's and interloper in the rake!

An old GNR Clerestory fruit van has made an appearance! This is something I designed over a year ago but kept having problems printing it on my B9Creator. I finally figured out why I was having problems an after a quick redesign it was successfully printed today. Other than remove the printer supports and give it a squire of Halfords red plastic primer, I've not done any cleaning up to the print (although it could do with a bit of smoothing on the roof). The chassis is a Peco 10' wooden solebar version which is a scale two inches too long in the wheelbase (c. 0.35mm) but I think it looks ok.

With a bit of luck the vans will be moving through the paint shop in the next week or so.
Steve

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:44 pm

Yes, I agree, nice modelling. What sort of couplings will you be using - it would be a pity to spoil them with the standard over-scale n gauge offerings.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Atso

Postby Atso » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:50 pm

Lysander wrote:Yes, I agree, nice modelling. What sort of couplings will you be using - it would be a pity to spoil them with the standard over-scale n gauge offerings.

Tony

Hi Tony. With the exception of the clerestory and brake vans, I've cut the coupling pockets off of the Peco chassis. As these will likely end up as a fix rake, I'll be making some simple hook and eye couplings out of wire. I'm not sure what I'll be using at the ends of the rake(s) but the Dapol magnetic coupler is a contender or maybe some DGs (as they'll work out a lot cheaper!).
Steve

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:05 pm

I've a feeling that the N Gauge Society manufacture their own quite discreet couplings.

And I simply love clerestory van traffic !

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Atso

Postby Atso » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:43 am

Lysander wrote:I've a feeling that the N Gauge Society manufacture their own quite discreet couplings.

And I simply love clerestory van traffic !

Tony

If the N Gauge Society doesn't the 2mm Association definitely does!

I really like the clerestory van too! I've got an attempt at a scale chassis printing at the moment - fingers crossed it works.
Steve

Atso

Postby Atso » Thu May 11, 2017 7:27 pm

Following a bout of ill health, I missed the finish of the competition by some way. However, as I have been painting over the last few days I thought I'd give the wagons a quick spraying as well.

I need to do a little work on the perishables van to open out the louves. This will probably be done with the tip of a scalpel and will require the wagon to receive another coat of red oxide. Otherwise I'm quite pleased with how these are turning out - albeit somewhat later than expected!
Steve

Atso

Re: Formerly Competition Entry Jan 2017. Etched N gauge and LNER kits

Postby Atso » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:18 am

Things are very slowly progressing towards completing these wagons...

Still quite a bit to do on the other side (except the brake van) and they've still got to be matt varnished so look a little shiny here.

So, you'd think I'd have gotten on with getting the rest painted and finished wouldn't you...

Nope!

Steve

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:05 pm

Well you will bite off such a big chunk! :o That's a lot to scratch build!
Holly Moley! A 3 axle guards van in 'N', man, you are brave!
P.S. are you aware that except for that last post, all your pics are broken?
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Atso

Postby Atso » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:16 pm

TimberSurf wrote:Well you will bite off such a big chunk! :o That's a lot to scratch build!
Holly Moley! A 3 axle guards van in 'N', man, you are brave!

Thanks! We'll see how well the brake van runs at some point! :lol: With luck its short wheelbase will allow it to traverse tightish curves.

TimberSurf wrote:P.S. are you aware that except for that last post, all your pics are broken?

Another victim of Photobucket I'm afraid. I would add them back in but I don't know where the originals are! I'll get around to finishing off the original vans at some point and post pictures of these. I'll do a couple more of these etched kits soon and add new photos of these under construction.

In the meantime, I've built another wagon chassis this afternoon.

Steve

Atso

Postby Atso » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:38 pm

Hi all,

Just a quick update about the growing collection of etched chassis on my bench. The total is now four and I've gone a little further on the 10' wheelbase versions by adding the brake pull rods underneath the chassis. You probably can't see them but they're not too difficult to do and really strengthen up the brake blocks so they'll pretty much withstand any knocks.

I've also chemically blackened them using Carr's blackener for nickel silver (which also works on brass!).

I really should add some footsteps to the horse box chassis....
Steve

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”