Competition Entry Jan 2017. Etched N gauge and LNER kits

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
Atso

Competition Entry Jan 2017. Etched N gauge and LNER kits

Postby Atso » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:00 am

Hi all,

I intend to enter something into the competition. However, not wishing to compete with Mattmay05's original condition W1 build (he got dibs in on it first! :D ) I'm on the lookout for what I can do with a Farish A1 chassis. However, I can provide some criteria that I will be working to:

- It will be based around the Farish A1 donor chassis.
- It will be designed and 3D printed by myself.
- As I'm currently unemployed, it will have to be finished using materials I currently have to hand.

I've already got an idea on what this will be but I'll have to do some measuring to find out if the A1 chassis is as suitable as I think (hope) it will be... If not my fallback position would involve a Farish A2 chassis (and a very different loco) but I don't think I'll have come up with a solution the heavy modification the chassis required in a month! :lol:
Last edited by Atso on Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

mattmay05

Re: Competition Entry Jan 2017. Something N gauge and LNER based

Postby mattmay05 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:52 pm

Hey Steve,

Certainly look forward to seeing what you do, I personally don't mind if you do a W1, I think personally it would be a nice contrast between doing a kit, and someone doing it in the new way of 3D printing, It's a complex shape and me personally would love to see how you get on with it.

So If you do want to do a W1 (Hush Hush) go for it :)

Anyway I look forward to what ever you get up too :) especially in N gauge :)

Atso

Postby Atso » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:17 am

Hi Matt,

Thank you, I'll leave the W1 for the time being and be more than content to follow your build; mine will get built anyway... eventually! :wink:

I'm now thinking of resurrecting an old idea I had. The chosen prototype is going to be a pre-grouping design (only just) and, while more numerous than the W1 (there were a total of five built!) was not as glamorous and only had a revenue earning life of around 12-13 years. This was due to their boilers wearing out and they apparently weren't considered either good enough or numerous enough to build new ones or modify.

Also, while you are correct that a well known (in N gauge circles anyway) modeller made a small batch of W1s a few years ago, I can honestly say that I've never seen one of my chosen prototypes modelled in N gauge - a kit was once produced in 4mm but it was a very limited run and of these I've only ever seen a handful built and running.

I believe that the Farish A1 can be used but I'll have to move the bogie forward somewhat, ditch the valve gear and made some new cylinders - a very basic CAD outline exists but will need some experimentation and (I expect) modification to fit the donor chassis.

Anyone wish to hazard a guess as to what I'm hoping to do?
Steve

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:04 pm

I have no idea, due to my complete lack of steam knowledge, but it all sounds very interesting and i look forward to following it.

Boïschaut

Postby Boïschaut » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:09 pm

nickbrad wrote:It all sounds very interesting and I look forward to following it.

Me too ! :D

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:31 pm

Ah, I think I know what it is! :D Looking forward to developments.
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Atso

Postby Atso » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:47 pm

flying scotsman123 wrote:Ah, I think I know what it is! :D Looking forward to developments.

Go on then, what do you think it is? :wink:
Steve

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:23 pm

NER Raven A1?
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Atso

Postby Atso » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:26 am

flying scotsman123 wrote:NER Raven A1?

Change the A1 classification to a different number and you'll be spot on! (the Raven was never an A1!) :wink:
Steve

Atso

Postby Atso » Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:55 pm

Having been caught out with some issues over the last couple of weeks, I fear that the A2 will not be anywhere near finished by the end of the month (it's not even to the point where it can be printed yet).

Therefore, I'm on the lookout for something that might stand a chance of getting completed in time. It'll still be n gauge and LNER based so it'll still be fulfilling the title brief!

I think I know what I'm going to do instead but I need to source it first! :D
Steve

Atso

Re: Competition Entry Jan 2017. Etched N gauge LNER wagon kits.

Postby Atso » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:31 am

Hi all,

Ok, I've finally gotten myself sorted out with my competition project! Rather than a loco, I'm going to be building some of the BH Enterprises etched wagon kits:

What I've got here is:

1x GCR fish van
3x LNER fruit vans
1x GNR Brake van

The kits are designed to fit Peco wagon chassis which, while somewhat generic, makes life easier (having built some 2mm association wagon chassis before). I wanted to get several of the fish vans but unfortunately Ray at BHE only had the one kit left so I settled on fruit vans. These kits will be soldered together and represent some challenges due to the lack of alignment holes for the various overlays - this is representative of the vintage of the original artwork. I've already built four of these kits this week, following the Stevenage show and found them enjoyable builds - three are shown below (the coin is a ten pence piece for reference):

May aim would be to have these at least painted by the end of the month; preferably lettered as well.

The Raven A2 is still on my to do list and will probably form the basis of a future competition entry - although I plan to have the CAD work done before putting it forward again.
Steve

Atso

Re: Competition Entry Jan 2017. Etched N gauge and LNER kits

Postby Atso » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:33 pm

Ok, I'm going to try and post some stage by stage bits for the fish van (please be kind, I'm not great at this kind of thing!).

First of all, let's have a better look at the etch.

The kit ends up being a simple fold up box with the ends attached separately. There are several overlays in the kit which have to be aligned by eye - not as good as a 2mm association kit, which provides lovely locating holes in the fret but not to difficult as long as you take care.

The first thing I did was to tin the back of all the overlays. For this I used some Fry's flux paste to cover the etches and simply dipped the soldering iron into a tin of tinner/cleaner to get a small amount of solder onto the tip before running to iron around the back of the etches. I ended up with this:

Now comes the first overlay. I chose to start with the main body and wiped some solder paste onto the back of the pre-tinned overlay before carefully aligning it over one of the sides. Using a dry iron (i.e. no solder on the tip), I ran it around the overlay, attaching it to the body side. I then repeated this with the other side to end up with the result below:

It looks messy at the moment but it'll clean up nicely using a glass fibre pen a little later.

Next I attached the door overlays using the same technique as the first set of overlays, cleaned the whole lot up with the glass fibre pen and cut the piece from the fret.

Looks much neater now, doesn't it?

Next comes the first set of folds. For this I used a couple of pieces of flat metal (in my case an aluminum mitre block and a steel modellers square as I had them to hand) and clamp the piece along the half etch fold line on the back of the body etch. Taking a steel ruler I applied pressure to fold the body 90 degrees to the floor and repeated the exercise for the other side. Then, using a pair of flat pliers, I folder over the upper taps (not quite to 90 degrees) that'll form the attachment area for the roof.

Having sweated the end overlays onto the ends (using the same method as for the body side), I cut these from the fret.

Then it's a simple matter of attaching the ends to the body; the kit does make this easier by having a small rebate in the floor to accommodate the ends. In theory the fold over tabs for the roof should support the ends but these are set a bit too far back so you have to align the end by end and hold it with fingers before applying the iron. Before all this, I tinned the back of the ends and body sides around the area I was going to solder and applied flux to ensure than the tinned areas would form a good joint. Once I'd aligned the ends, I applied the soldering iron, dry, to the outer corners of the body to sweat solder into the corner joints and repeated this for the other side.

This is progress to date. I've still got to solder on the buffers and coupling hook and will update on my progress a bit later.

Hope all of this makes sense. :)
Steve

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:00 pm

That's very cool (anti-pun intended, I bet you burn your fingers!)
Known about brass kits since day one, understood the principles, but never actually seen the process.
Very impressed that your doing this in 'N', not even aware they did them (not that I follow the scale, I am OO gauge)
As you use acid flux, how to you clean when soldering finished, does it include an ultrasonic bath?
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Atso

Postby Atso » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:12 pm

TimberSurf wrote:That's very cool (anti-pun intended, I bet you burn your fingers!)
Known about brass kits since day one, understood the principles, but never actually seen the process.
Very impressed that your doing this in 'N', not even aware they did them (not that I follow the scale, I am OO gauge)
As you use acid flux, how to you clean when soldering finished, does it include an ultrasonic bath?

Thank you!

I didn't burn my fingers too badly, nor did I drop any of the wagons while soldering! :lol:

At the moment I'm using Cilicbang as I've got some to hand. Simply give the model a squirt and scrub using an old toothbrush. Then rinse and scrub with the toothbrush again and one final rinse under running water. The idea being that if you've done a good job soldering then nothing will fall off! I'll probably get hold of some shiny sinks for the final clean before priming.

I do have an ultrasonic bath but I use this exclusively for washing off 3D prints as they come off my machine - acid flux residue is not going anywhere near that!

Anyway, todays progress is below; one fish van and three fruit vans. I didn't cover the fruit van builds as they are pretty much the same kind of thing as the fish van. Tomorrow I'll be finish off the buffers and coupling hooks on the two without and adding the roofs.

Once these are done, I'll turn my attention to the GNR brake van and do a light coverage of the build as it is sufficiently different from the other vans.
Steve

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:17 pm

I keep looking at the pictures, being impressed at the work so far, then I remind myself how small they are and I'm even more impressed.

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”