Carnehans 2017 Competition Springside Model Build

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
carnehan

Carnehans 2017 Competition Springside Model Build

Postby carnehan » Tue Dec 27, 2016 8:14 pm

Ok, time to launch my entry for the first competition of 2017. This christmas I had on my wish list a Springside Models kit of the Rover 2200. Whitemetal is a venture in to the unknown for me having never worked in the medium before hence its submission for the competition.

Having opened the kit tonight I took the opportunity to take a bit of time and give the instructions a thorough read. Having built some of the other cottage industry kit providers efforts before I wasn't hopeful of detailed pictures and text to aid the build process. Pictures are limited but they do provide enough guidance to carry out the work in the correct order. Text is brief but informative with nice additions of noting the original colour of the vehicle for the particular registration of this car.

I had thought that soldering was the order of the day with whitemetal builds but Springside have recommended an epoxy glue for this particular build. Having read around the subject a little more, solder would appear to be the best solution but for first timers epoxy is perhaps a little easier to work with. I'll opt for the second option this time round.

First up, a shopping trip for some epoxy glue. This will give me a little time to mull over whether to opt for the jewelled headlights option or fit fibre optic lighting to allow for them to be illuminated when positioned on the layout. I like the latter option but I'll have to read further on this to weigh up its pros and cons.

Anyway, this competition piece is now a go. More to follow...

Paul

TimberSurf

Re: Carnehans 2017 Competition Springside Model Build

Postby TimberSurf » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:04 am

A week and no progress! :D The prize is as good as mine! Muuuuuhahaha

:o What do mean, there is no prize? :o

I have just ventured into my first ever white metal kit!
Two Part epoxy works fine, probably a lot more forgiving than soldering!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:32 am

Haha. I'm taking the eleventh hour approach and going to blitz it all at the last minute producing something that will blow the competition out of the water! :lol:

In terms of actual progress, two part epoxy was bought last week and is sitting on the workbench awaiting initial use. I've also been doing a bit of reading round the build process.

The biggest issue, I think, will be the glazing of the car. With no glazing insert included I will need to produce my own. There seems to be two options: 1) microscale crystal clear 2) forming clear plastic in to the apertures. Both have their difficulties and it may be a case of experimenting to see what produces the most effective results. That, though, is a discussion for later in the build process.

Anyway, thanks for the motivational taunt Timbersurf, watch your back, this build is going to come at you with a flurry of wowness!! 8)

Paul

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:40 am

Epoxy will be fine Paul - I use it for white metal all of the time. Mixed to go off a little more quickly [ie more hardener than resin], it still gives time for adjustments before it cures. Experiment first with your mix. Use superglue for small, finer details but be aware of its propensity to fog paintwork or windows with a milky mist. Johnson's Klear - the old formulation that is - is quite good at mitigating lighter areas of fogging.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:16 pm

Thanks for the tips Tony. I think one of the reasons I've held off starting this project is that having never tackled anything like it before I feel a bit nervous. I might bring it in to the house later and at least prepare the whitemetal for bonding - filing and washing.

Paul

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:15 pm

[Competitor advice] I have heard somewhere that a 60 minute cycle at 40 degree's with a 1100 spin cycle does a great cleaning job!
Couldn't resist giving some killer advice. :twisted:

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:22 pm

Tonight, I opened up the kit and gave all the pieces a light file to remove flash. Unfortunately, I've discovered one of the seat backs is missing from the kit so have emailed Springside in the hope of a replacement. I should be able to continue with the rest of the kit but will hold off on this until I hear back from them just in case I need to return it to them.

Paul

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:34 pm

I thought only E2E and myself were in the competition as everywhere else is rather quiet. :)

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:05 pm

Just giving you chaps a head start! :wink:

Paul

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:19 pm

carnehan wrote:Just giving you chaps a head start! :wink:

Paul

I have my feet up and a glass of whisky in hand. Why? Because I have finished. :D

Glencairn

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:22 pm

I made huge steps forward over xmas, but working away has stalled progress, should get some movement this weekend. Just cuz we aint posting, don't mean we is out for the count!

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:03 am

TimberSurf wrote:I made huge steps forward over xmas, but working away has stalled progress, should get some movement this weekend. Just cuz we aint posting, don't mean we is out for the count!

I know. I am just having a little banter with Paul.

There is still over a month and half to go, and there are some great entries. Some of them I think I will try later. :D

Glencairn

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:01 am

At the rate you rattled through your build Glencairn you could squeeze a 2nd entry in. I don't think there are any rules against it. It could make that Whisky taste all the better as you race up and pass me again. :D

Paul

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:50 pm

carnehan wrote:At the rate you rattled through your build Glencairn you could squeeze a 2nd entry in. I don't think there are any rules against it. It could make that Whisky taste all the better as you race up and pass me again. :D

Paul

Second entry in --- :D

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:54 pm

How does that work?
Does that mean glencairn can get First and second place? :o
Well if that's the deal, count me in for 7 entries, one for each type of buffer! :D

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”