2017 Competition: LNER, W1, Hush-Hush (With extras)

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
TimberSurf

Re: 2017 Competition: LNER, W1, Hush-Hush (With extras)

Postby TimberSurf » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:01 am

Never even heard of the W1! Brilliant looking loco. Cant wait to see the finished article. I don't think my skill or ambition will ever get to loco building, so hats off for even trying!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:33 pm

Really? I guess that's why they called it a Hush Hush It's an interesting beast only lasted 6 /7 years, just a shame they never stuck with the water tube marine boiler idea, sadly hadn't quite got to grips with the technology..

To be fair I was like that, I didn't think I would be able to do brass kits, let alone white metal kits, but you just have to give it a go, and test the way of doing ect...
- Youtube/bluebellModelrailway
- All builds: http://bluebell-railway.webs.com/projectspage.htm

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:38 am

After the Christmas break I placed an order for some A4 Valve gear (X9321), this is due to the Hornby A3 mounting bracket having a step down of 1-1.5mm in it, which caused the linkage to the expansion link to point downwards when the wheels crank pin was at half past, using the A4 parts I believe this will fix that, and probably cause some more problems along the way.
As expected, the valve gear being raised caused problems mainly with the body shell, not wanting to do surgery on the body, I took a dremel to the bracket to cut away where the body was being held up. This was done successfully and the body now sat level on the chassis, meaning a test run was in order.

ImageImage

Taking a small break from the chassis as the next part will be quite hard work re-working the rear end to accommodate the trailing wheel sets / bogie.
So I move my attention to shaping the hand rails, the kit was kindly supplied with handrail knobs, the end holders were tacked in place to hold the wire and shape it so I could get the position right and also the shape. Once happy, I added the additional handrail knobs to the handrail and placed them in their respective holes, then soldered them to the handrail.
Then I turned my attention to the front end again, and added the lamp irons which are included in the kit part of the chassis etch.

ImageImage

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:11 pm

A call in to Alan Gibson to order 3ft 2" , 10 spoke wheels for the front and rear of the loco was put in early January, which are expected around mid Jan due to illness, so while waiting the work continues...
With the wheels probably the next thing to show, I needed to start on the rear mounting for the rear wheel set, now being someone who likes using spares a lot, I used the drawings to buy a bogie with the same wheel spacing as I wanted something with pickups just to aid the model as It won't have tender pickups.
So I purchased a 2P bogie from Hornby direct as they were cheaper than everyone else, the wheel size is about 1mm bigger but these will be replaced when the new wheels turn up

So how do I mount it to the chassis? I made up a swing arm, using some brass sheet cut out to my measurements with a wide section at the rear with a slot to allow the bogie to move from side to side. The long section from the mounting point to the swing arm was laminated so another piece of brass on top just to strengthen it. This swing arm was made to fit the chassis where the plastic moulded section of plastic surrounding the trailing wheel set.

ImageImage

Other parts to arrive were from Peters Spares, the new sprung buffers produced by Markits, were a suitable better looking, than the white metal cast option, and although there is no real use to the sprung buffers, I add them more due to them being better looking and nicely turned. The front set will be soldered in to place where as on the tender they will be glued in place. Holes were enlarged on the front to 3mm, whilst the work was on going I also filled the screwlink hook hole which I will re-drill to fit a spare Hornby one I have hanging around.

ImageImage

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:12 pm

Excellent job on mounting that rear wheel set, I'd have thought it was straight from a factory had I not seen this here.

Congratulations on being published by the way, a great article on 3-d printing and very helpful directions on free programs to get started in creating one's own CAD designs.

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:02 pm

Thank You Nickbrad, It did turn out quite well, even if I actually hadn't planned it out that way before buying the chassis so a bit of Dangerous modelling haha, but yes works quite well although I expect it will require some minor tweaking.

Yes thanks I had actually forgotten about that, nice to know someone has seen it, as I don't like to advertise that I have written anything, did seem a bit of to write about 3D printing for a beginners mag but I guess it let's people know it's out there and what it can do.

timbologist

Postby timbologist » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:25 am

I will definitely be looking forward to the completion of this,I don't think I would be game enough to try something likes this. Id pike out and use superglue.
You must have plenty of patience and a steady hand
cheers
Tony

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”