2017 Competition: Bashing RTR stock for Gantsville

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
alex3410

Re: 2017 Competition: Bashing RTR stock for Gantsville

Postby alex3410 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:23 pm

Dad-1 wrote:I assume laser printing has the same restrictions.

They do i had some and had the same issues, so much so that i don't think i ever actually used any of the ones i printed out on the clear paper.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:39 pm

A poorly lit picture to show that with Rob Strachan's help, (of Tilley Yard South fame,) I have managed to fully dismantle the coach, ready for dissection to commence tomorrow evening. If I'm honest, I'm a bit nervous about making the initial cut, but worst case scenario, there are still models of this coach floating around on ebay so I can pick up another if I really need to, (although i'd like to avoid that if possible).

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:58 pm

All the lettering is now removed from the body, ready for the chop tomorrow. I keep putting it off, but I'm now at the point where progress on this has stalled until I make the actual body modifications. I guess i could do some work on the flat car instead though......

The keen eyed will probably notice that both sides are the same moulding, which doesn't match the prototype at all, so some filling/altering of windows will be needed as well as the end chop. It still won't be perfect when I've finished, but I hope to be close enough that casual observers will recognise it as the same as the real thing, (which currently lies half buried in a siding near a power station, inaccessible to all).

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:46 pm

For bettor or worse, the chop has been done.

One thing I am very unhappy with is the sloppiness of the razor saw, this is one of those times where it pays in the long run to buy quality tools as the blade although tightened as much as I could get it, still had quite a bit of vertical movement. As for the blade being very flexible, I don't know if that is normal or not, but i found that these two factors combined made it very hard to keep on a straight line. Luckily the par I cut off is no longer needed, but if I was doing a cut and shut, I'd revert back to multiple strokes with the Swann Morton, even if it took a long time.

The next step is to make a new "end" for the coach and a panel for the balcony, before moving on to the windows. Looking at the prototype again, there's less work involved than originally envisaged, although i will need to replicate one strip of rivets down the side of a window. If anyone has any suggestions for this, it would be gratefully received.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:50 pm

Just a quick one to show that progress is being made, albeit slowly.

This end piece alone has taken around an hr and a half of cutting and filing to get to this stage, not up to the speed or precision of the likes of Matt, Geoff and Atso, but they all started out like me at one time, improving their skills as they went until they were capable of the masterpieces we see today.

I think next, I will work on the door in this panel, I know some very fine tuning is needed still for one corner, but planning the door now means I won't potentially waste time getting the outer edge exact, only to mess the entire panel up.

One thing I will add, thank goodness for Matt Peddlesden uploading his Children In Need charity stream to youtube, gives me train related content in the background while I work, yet something I don't feel the need to watch constantly.

Atso

Postby Atso » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:31 am

Looking good Nick! 8)

Bits like this always take time to do. If you're making a batch of something you'll naturally become quicker as you go on - unfortunately you'll forget how you did it when you make some more six months or so later!

With regard to speed and skills, I've got quite a bit of time on my hands at the moment and would estimate that my wagon etches have eaten up around 20-25 hours this week - about a month's work if I was working. To be fair around half of that time has been on detailing bits made from bits of wire, etc that are not in the kit. Skillwise, soldering is not something I'm particularly strong at but I've been learning and practicing having watched Tony Wright's loco building video on Youtube which covers soldering in great depth.

I think that your coach will end up being a masterpiece in its own right. Keep plugging away and learning new stuff! :D
Steve

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:13 pm

I've been reviewing the sides again and there is one part that I am unsure how to resolve.

Whilst side A, (my terminology that I have been using since I began on the project,) just requires some minor alterations to move the 3rd window on the balcony end along to match the paired windows elsewhere,

Side B is a bigger issue. As mentioned previously, both sides are replicas of each other on the model, whereas the prototype is very different, especially when it comes to this side B.
(both images being sourced from the Alexander Railroad facebook page, here )

At the non-balconied end, where the last 5 windows are, there are 6 on the model and I am fairy certain that the last set of double windows, (where the Alexander text beings in the 2nd photo,) is much further along the prototype than they are on the model. With both the railroad archives and the Pullman society in the US unable to come up with drawings for this coach after it went through modifications to the state seen in the photos, the actual positioning of everything is guesswork at this stage.
I don't fancy cutting and filling sections all along the side though, my skills at this point are certainly not up to that at the moment. Any suggestions on a suitable bodge are welcome, although I am contemplating sourcing a 2nd coach eventually to have another go, when my skills have improved in a year or 2.

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:38 pm

Looks good Nick, but filling the windows won't be beyond your skills. Milliput or Green Putty should do it.

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:42 pm

When using a razor saw Nick I always hold the blade unit by hand, dispensing with the screw-on handle. I find that I have far more control that way.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:23 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Tony with the razor saw, I shall certainly try that next time.

Green putty is alsread on it's way Rob, as side A needs a window repositioning (3rd from left). The problem with the other side is that all 6 double windows would need shifting about 2mm to the left, accumulating to 12 mm in total by the end of the last double, which would make the spacing for the 5 remaining windows correct. I don't know whether to go to that amount of hassle, cutting and relocating them individually, or just accept that spacing is incorrect on that one end.
I'm guessing that most people will be unfamiliar with the prototype, being a unique US outline coach, but I am going to be sharing it wth the Alexander Railroad page on fb. Decisions, decisions......

Atso

Postby Atso » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:33 pm

I guess it is up to you regarding the windows. Personally, I think my thinking would be along the same lines as yours and leave it alone for the moment.
Steve

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:04 am

The project got a boost this morning as I was looking up unrelated Norfolk Southern stuff, then came across some decal sets for the locos and then coaches.

For some reason, my brain didn't even think to browse ebay until this point, but I thought I'd just do a random search for "letter decals yellow" and came up with this. I think by now having the exact font isn't essential with the compromises I am making elsewhere, a representation of the coach is more important to me than an exact replica. For a scenic'd inglenook, that's all I need.

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:16 pm

Thanks for the link Nickbrad. You've given me an idea for shop fronts, signs and the like. :idea:
Looking forward to seeing more progress.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:04 pm

So, it's been almost a month since i updated this, but I've been doing the odd little bit here and there, not really pushing on as at each stage, my desire has not been matched by my skill.

However, I have since come to the conclusion that Alexandria is essentially mk1 and I will return in the future to make another, more refined version, aided by the fact that I realised the other day that I have made a stupid, fundamental error. I'll wait to see if anyone spots it, but suffice to say, this error has lifted the burden from me to make a perfect job and so I can now push ahead with completing it, (minus the decals).

Photos will follow.....

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:08 am

1st coat of green has gone onto the coach, not as smooth as I'd like, I really need to improve on my technique with hand brushing, that's for sure.

I'm also having issues getting my phone to talk to my pc, hence no photos, so I am sacrificing work on the lumber/MOW car in order to sort this out. After all, I cannot finish up this thread without some final pictures at least of my progress.

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”