Mainly 3D Printed LNER Locomotives in N gauge

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
Atso

Re: Mainly 3D Printed LNER Locomotives in N gauge

Post by Atso »

Ok something completely different from me.

The above represents several months of on/off work. The main issues have been trying to interpret the shape of the firebox correctly and amending the source drawings, correcting errors and omissions. Ultimately the model will sit on a Farish Black Five chassis to obtain the (more or less) correct style of tender frames and a surprisingly close coupled wheelbase.

A very early test print of the model (with the original, incorrect, firebox shape) is below.

Steve
Atso

Post by Atso »

In case anyone is interested here is the latest test print of the County....

...and the current state of the CAD (although the chimney needs quite a bit of work!).

Steve
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

Looking very nice, I wonder if the new build County project would be interested in your work? Loco preservation groups often like to sell models of their own loco!
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
Atso

Post by Atso »

flying scotsman123 wrote:Looking very nice, I wonder if the new build County project would be interested in your work? Loco preservation groups often like to sell models of their own loco!
Thank you. I've got some issues trying to find out the correct dimensions for the BR double chimney so I might well be organising a visit to Didcot to measure the one they've got for the project! I don't know if they'll be interested in my N gauge kit effort, more likely interested in Hornby designing a new one for the 4mm scale range but it never hurts to ask! :D
Steve
Atso

Post by Atso »

I woke up to a surprise today as UPS had delivered my Shapeways prints. This was a most welcome find as Shapeways predicted that they wouldn't be ready for shipping until Wednesday!

So what have I got?

From left to right: MR 15' long outside frame van (this is truly tiny!), the early LNER Dia 23 fish van and the later LNER dia 134 fish van. As you can see, I've test fitted the wheels (Farish) and everything is free running.

The GNR six wheel full brake. This one isn't quite as successful as the clearances aren't quite their to take the wheelsets. I think that I might be able to play with the clearances to find a better compromise to accept Farish coach wheels. At present, this coach wouldn't even take a 13mm axle as there really isn't enough clearance around the wheels. I thought this might well be the case but thought I'd try my luck anyway - three successes out of four really isn't bad. On the plus side, I'm really impressed with how well the panelling has come out.
Steve
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

Wow! As you say, the panelling has come out nicely, shame about the wheels. I wouldn't fancy lining it out in that scale! :shock:
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
Atso

Post by Atso »

Thank you! Luckily, the LNER stopped lining anything that didn't have a corridor connector from 1928! :D
Steve
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

They look the business! Really nice prints from Shapeways, always have had a mixture of results from them... some good some back... especially like the 6 wheel full brake. Really nice prints! And nice design work!
- Youtube/bluebellModelrailway
- https://railway-modeller-mw.weebly.com/
- VECTIS 3D: mademe.co.uk/shop/vectis-3d-models/
Atso

Post by Atso »

mattmay05 wrote:They look the business! Really nice prints from Shapeways, always have had a mixture of results from them... some good some back... especially like the 6 wheel full brake. Really nice prints! And nice design work!
Thanks Matt (and sorry for the delay in replying - its been hectic over here!).

The prints still need some rubbing down but they are a massive improvement on what I used to get from Shapeways in terms of consistent quality. As per usual, where there has been the need to provide a wax support wall, the surface is rougher than where there hasn't but this cleans up nicely using some sanding sticks and other bits and pieces.

The current state of play with the fish vans is below:

Progress on these has been delayed due to needing them as demonstration pieces for a 'how to' article. The vans have been subjected to an application of primer, a rub down and a second squirting of primer. The cruel enlargements show that I've still got one or two bits to address but overall I'm happy with how these are turning out - especially the legible 'fish' on the door plate of the later van (remember these are N gauge!).
Steve
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

No problem Steve... I know what that's like, doing repairs for my local shop takes up a lot of time, especially hunting the parts...

They do look the business, amazing to think they are in N. The article sounds interesting certainly looking forward to seeing that are you allowed to say which publication?

Yes I hear you on Shapeways consistency... and quality... I was asked to re-release the Metropolitan set which I did with some changes.. I didn't want to due to them being incapable of printing them correctly... well the first one was fine... then the second one... well yes so bad I don't know how the hell that got through QC... such a shame... they have a great idea but they just haven't got the QC and the consistency to actually make me recommend them.
Atso

Post by Atso »

DonB wrote:I've only just come across this thread, and I have to say that these are stunning. Like several other contributors, I have to keep reminding myself that these are N gauge...

Should you ever decide to upscale to 00, I'm sure I could find work for a couple of A5s...
Hi Don,

Thank you for your kind comments. If I go to 4mm, I'll keep the A5 in mind but I believe there are already a few kits on the market for this locomotive.
Steve
Atso

Post by Atso »

The latest CAD progressing through the virtual works.

Following some additional research to clear up a few fuzzy details, the County has moved forward slight too.

Steve
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Wonderful CAD work there Steve, I picked up a magazine (BRM) a couple of days ago, and there was an article of some similar looking wagons, loco's by a guy called Steve.... a know there are many people called Steve, but would I be right in assuming it could possibly be yourself?
Atso

Post by Atso »

mattmay05 wrote:Wonderful CAD work there Steve, I picked up a magazine (BRM) a couple of days ago, and there was an article of some similar looking wagons, loco's by a guy called Steve.... a know there are many people called Steve, but would I be right in assuming it could possibly be yourself?
Thanks Matt.

Re the BRM article: They're not just similar models... ;)
Steve
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Thought I recognised them... or there was an imposter called Steve who has exactly the same models lol A very insightful article :) great read.