Mainly 3D Printed LNER Locomotives in N gauge

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
Atso

Re: Mainly 3D Printed LNER Locomotives in N gauge

Postby Atso » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:28 pm

Some more lengths of straight track have been soldered together for Hadley Wood's fiddle yard and most have now been laid. I'm now reaching the end of the second board!

The five Gresley coaches and three wagons are already getting a bit lost in the overall size of the fiddle yard. The center two loops will be able to hold fifteen coaches, or (more importantly) at least forty five coal wagons as well as a loco. Once I've replaced the Rapido couplings with my wire hook/loop arrangement, I'm hoping that the distance between the wagons will close up sufficiently to bring the total to fifty coal wagons. The next two loops will hold the equivalent to twelve coaches (plus loco) and the next two beyond that will hold nine (plus loco). The outermost loops will act as feed/holding lines for the kickback sidings.

You may notice that the loop (currently a siding) nearest to the camera isn't as long as the other seven lines. This is because it will have two turnouts that will feed the inner kickback sidings. These are currently being built as a single unit.

The red box below indicates where this will be located on the trackplan.

In case anyone is interested, I did some rough calculations to work out the number of solder joints in view. Not including the beginnings of the wiring, there are approximate 3,500 solder joins in view in the first picture! :shock:
Steve

Atso

Postby Atso » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:54 pm

Well as usual, I've gotten myself sidetracked and have been playing around with this since Monday.

It is an Ivatt N1 tank engine, but is still in need of its condensing pipes and other details (once I've decided which loco it'll be) to render. The CAD is of a saturated version but I do plan to do a superheated one too. I'm also going to use this as a first foray into etched chassis design and construction, which will be interesting to say the least!
Steve

Atso

Postby Atso » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:09 pm

I found a photograph of 4557 near Hadley Wood in 1935 and so decided that this will be the identity of N1.

She's fitted with an older boiler with Ramsbottom safety valves and still retains the original GNR lamp iron arrangement. However, she had been fitted with plated bunker rails, a smokebox door stop and sheet metal shields to the cab by this point.

Next up will be working out the chassis arrangement! :shock:
Steve

Atso

Postby Atso » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:30 pm

A couple of days work as seen the start of the etched chassis concept. Nothing ground breaking, 2mm Association split frame system but narrowed for N gauge track and a direct worm and wheel from the motor.

How it looks with the body on...

...and the initial test print of the body (and a C12!).

Steve

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:48 pm

I do think this is the best 3D printing I've come across, you can't see any print lines at all - and then I remember it's N gauge to boot!
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Atso

Postby Atso » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:40 pm

flying scotsman123 wrote:I do think this is the best 3D printing I've come across, you can't see any print lines at all - and then I remember it's N gauge to boot!

Thank you, it's been a steep learning curve and there are still some things that aren't great but it is getting there.

I've spent a lot of time designing up a chassis to fit the N1. This will be etched and assembled using 2mm Scale Association split frame methods, but with N gauge wheels.

I've slowly been redrawing the 3D chassis rendering into 2D etching artwork. Why does it always take so long to work out everything in the flat!?

Needing a bit of a break from all the design work, I returned to a Worsley Works scratch aid for some Gresley 51' non-corridor stock.

I still need to sort out roofs, compartments, bogies, etch from other sources but the full third is beginning to look the part I think.
Steve

Atso

Postby Atso » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:25 pm

I've made some progress on the N gauge brake third.

Steve

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”