Well I got the Prestwin completed at the beginning of last week, despite being in and out of the doctors/hospital. I just need to build the second one so that they can progress to the painting stage!
As the tanks are a (very nice) resin casting, I had to fit all the pipework to it using epoxy. This left me with time to knock together something a little simpler.
Above is an old BH Enterprise etch for a GNR brake van. While not as detailed as more modern kits, it goes together nicely, with only the handrails providing any real headache. It's designed to fit on a slight modified Peco brake van chassis. As the 2mm Association don't do an equivalent etched kit, I need to purchase the Peco item to complete.
I've also been repainting a black Dapol corridor tender into Doncaster Green to be paired with a loco end which is factory finished in that livery.
My repainting effort is at the front and the Dapol factory finish that I'm attempting to match is at the back. What the photograph doesn't show up is that mine is a little untidy in places. I'll clean that up as best I can with a little patch painting, but I'm really happy that I've finally cracked doing triple panel lining using my bow pen.
Finally, a couple of long stalled projects that I plan to get finished by the end of the year!
An ex-GCR Sir Sam Fay. The body is my usual 3D printed approach but the chassis is a custom modified/built until from N-Stars in Holland. The loco end is a heavily modified Farish Jubilee while under the Union Mills tender body is a completely scratch build tender drive. The drive unit successfully hauled twelve old bogie coaches up a 1 in 19 gradient before it got sent to me!
Another stalled project, a P2. I originally hoped to be able to use a Farish A2 chassis as a donor and graft an additional set of wheels onto the front. Unfortunately Farish juggled the wheelbase to fit as close-to-scale driving wheels as possible. While this visually works very well for the A2, it would push the front drivers far too far forward on the P2. As I'd designed this loco body using some original drawings, I didn't want to compromise the accuracy by stretching it. Therefore, this will probably end up with my first ever scratch built chassis!