Mainly 3D Printed LNER Locomotives in N gauge

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
Atso

Re: 3D Printed LNER J6s in N gauge

Postby Atso » Thu May 11, 2017 6:42 pm

GWR_fan wrote:Steve,
it is how we respond to life's challenges that makes up our character. You have obviously not let your 'disability' get the better of you and have achieved some beautiful creations. It is hard to believe that they are 'N' scale. A look at history will show that many famous people that we revere had similar challenges to conquer in their daily lives and they succeeded to greatness.

Thanks GWR_fan,

Some days are better than others but at least I'm not at the point I was in 2009 where getting up and staring at wall for eight hours was considered an achievement by the counselor...

Anyway, a little more progress on the locomotives as they've all received some paint now. No tenders for the J6s yet but I thought I'd share this photo as it is the most colourful of the locomotives. :)

However it really does show up the difference in the greens between the loco, bogie and driving wheels. I'll have to do something about that. :lol:
Steve

Atso

Re: 3D Printed LNER Locomotives in N gauge

Postby Atso » Fri May 12, 2017 3:09 pm

The nerve racking bit has started this afternoon... LINING!

Despite the evidence in the picture the lines are whole and consistent. The issue is the slight fluctuation under some areas of beading which my phone camera can't seem to pick up. This has been done using my new Kern ruling pen (more commonly known incorrectly as a bow pen or so I'm informed) and the lines are around 0.1mm thick.

The K3 above is my own so I'm using this as my testing and practice before tackling the more complex BR mixed traffic lining. I've managed to chip a little paint away from the footsteps by using a metal ruler, I'll be cutting some straight bits of plastic for the next stage to protect the paint a little better. There are a couple of bits that need a little cleaning up and this can be done with a OOO brush moistened with white spirit once the paint has gone tacky - alternatively I can simply paint them out with some gloss black once completely dry.

Overall, I'm reasonably happy with this first stage. I'll be lining the valance under the footplate too but I'm waiting for some spare pens that'll fit on my bow compasses (the pen supplied with this is useless no matter how much I've tried to hone the pen!) so I can do some offset lining.
Steve

Atso

Postby Atso » Sun May 14, 2017 4:04 pm

A bit more lining today

Steve

Atso

Postby Atso » Tue May 16, 2017 3:52 pm

A bit more lining today, specifically valancing and the BR K3 got some red around the cab as well - I did briefly consider trying to add the cream line as well but then sanity kicked in! :lol:

Pictures are between 10%-20% larger than actual size.
Steve

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed May 17, 2017 1:29 pm

Not sure how you paint that lining. I find I sometimes shrink back from painting Lining in 7mm scale! I do two tone paint finishes instead as I drew the line when it comes to lining!

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:52 am

Steve,

I have seen on many forums you have 3D printed many wonderful things, that would really aid other modellers too, i know a coupl of these are available on your shapeways (i have bought 2 already!) but will any others ever be available? I must admit i am eyeing up that D49 (i have morayshire plates but no engine to put them on, i hoped one day to do so and it would go with my J36 that will be 673 'Maude')
I'm back and now I model in 'Strain your eyes gauge'...

Atso

Postby Atso » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:13 pm

Pedanticmongrel wrote:Steve,

I have seen on many forums you have 3D printed many wonderful things, that would really aid other modellers too, i know a coupl of these are available on your shapeways (i have bought 2 already!) but will any others ever be available? I must admit i am eyeing up that D49 (i have morayshire plates but no engine to put them on, i hoped one day to do so and it would go with my J36 that will be 673 'Maude')

Hi Pedanticmogrel,

I do have plans to get things moving again on that front and I am working on designs for some new kits. However as I indicated in a previous post, health has not been the greatest thing over the last couple of years or so - although things are looking up.
Steve

Atso

Postby Atso » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:27 pm

Unfortunately as Photobucket have removed their free services I've closed my account with them. Luckily, I can piggyback images from another forum so I thought I'd share the latest progress with the locomotives on here.

D49/2 The Middleton. While it looks pretty complete now I've still got to sort out the loco/tender drawbar and electrical pickup, add the final few detailing bits and modify the valve gear to represent the rotary cam system the prototype used (which I've been putting off for as long as possible!).

My own D49/1, this one is a Shire which luckily needs no modification of the valve gear. No where near finished yet, I've still got to start painting the tender.

Both these models were originally going to use Dapol B1 tenders complete with their motors to keep the Dapol system of driving the loco wheels via a drive shaft to the tender. However, I've not been happy with the compromises made to the CAD for the early group standard tender to get it to fit the B1 frames so both locos will be unpowered with Farish tender drives taken from J39s.

LNER K3 2425, largely complete. I've just got to add the bufferbeam numbers, add a vacuum pipe and coupling hook and matt varnish the whole thing.

K3 61879, again largely complete other than waiting for transfers for the BR crest to arrive.
Steve

End2end

Postby End2end » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:39 pm

Exquisite! :D
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:01 pm

Really nice work there Steve, they have turned out great.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:33 pm

What great models, I still can't believe they are N and the lining is fantastic, you must have the patience of a saint! :D
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Atso

Postby Atso » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:43 pm

Thank you so much for the kind words guys.

TimberSurf wrote:What great models, I still can't believe they are N and the lining is fantastic, you must have the patience of a saint! :D

To be honest, I find hand lining generally easier than transfers; although I've used transfers for the boiler bands and the box in front of the leading splasher on the LNER green D49. Those little boxes have been a real hassle as I can't get in there with the ruling (bow) pen. Therefore I've had to resort to boiler band transfers and spending forever convincing them to go into the right place and stick down! After that it has been a simple (and much easier) case of carefully painting out the outer white line with some black using a OOO brush.

The green D49 has also gained its identity (but no nameplates yet!, still have to order those when funds improve). Therefore I can now reveal that, as nobody produces plates for Lincolnshire in n gauge, the locomotive will be 234 (nice easy number to remember) 'Yorkshire'.

The buffer beam numbers are also there but not visible in this shot, I've also got to paint the black centres on the bogie wheels.
Steve

Atso

Postby Atso » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:36 pm

Someone needs to have a chat with the Kings Cross cleaning crew about the state of 2425, it must have just finished a pretty intense turn to end up looking like this! 4744, just about in shot, looks spotless by comparison (although needing attention to her boiler bands!).

Following a bit of a down phase again mentally, I've been experimenting with weathering and wanted to tone down the lined black on the K3. Surprisingly, I've seen photographs of 1930's locomotives that aren't far off of this but they're probably the exception rather than the rule. The photograph actually makes the locomotive look a little dirtier than it really is but I'm happy with this as a first serious attempt at weathering and I've learnt some things that will be useful when I weather the BR condition locomotives (assuming the owner wants me to).
Steve

Atso

Postby Atso » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:13 pm

'Yorkshire' is also progressing slowly towards the finish line - sorry about the poor lighting conditions of this picture.

Steve

whynot

Postby whynot » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:29 am

I know very little about 3D printing, but enough to say that this is very fine (in both senses) workmanship. Given the scale - remarkable. Good luck with your health issue.
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

Return to “Scratch and Kit building”